News:

www.W116.org - All about the Car!

Main Menu

W116 as a daily

Started by Newtothegame, 25 December 2019, 01:11 PM

Newtothegame

I don't really know where to start as signing up to your forum was already complicated (no boomer!).

I drive this car 68km each way.

No idea how much mileage cause since I had it, it doesn't record the mileage!! Which is super annoying! Is there anyone who knows how to make these clocks work again? thanks

My 450SEL seems to have an issue where it skips beats once in a while, especially when you 'just release throttle at around 110kph (70mph). It also does it on power once in a while.

There's a red light that comes on when I put power on. I looks like a brake thing but my mechanic says it won't do anything bad, this worries me.

Once I have run for about an hour an then there seems to be a shake in the steering wheel and rack when I want to put some power down after slowing down? I can run it at 110-120kph for hours but sometimes it won't pick up after 60kph and it shakes; so strange.

Overall; what a car. I do 14l/100km and I think that's ok, what more you want from a v8?

https://ibb.co/HYrvgwX

I'd like to ad pictures but it doesn't seem to work.

ptashek

Quote from: Newtothegame on 25 December 2019, 01:11 PM
No idea how much mileage cause since I had it, it doesn't record the mileage!! Which is super annoying! Is there anyone who knows how to make these clocks work again? thanks

Welcome!
If the speedo works, but the odometer doesn't, it's likely one of the internal gears, that is either stuck or broken. If the speedo doesn't work either, than it's likely the shaft.

Maybe this'll help: https://youtu.be/DNoDAMgL_vg

QuoteThere's a red light that comes on when I put power on. I looks like a brake thing but my mechanic says it won't do anything bad, this worries me.

Bad earth to the instrument cluster, or break pads running low?

QuoteOnce I have run for about an hour an then there seems to be a shake in the steering wheel and rack when I want to put some power down after slowing down?

Worn out steering coupler, failed engine mounts or failed steering damper come to mind.
1993 "Pearl Blue" W124 280TE
1988 "Arctic White" W124 200T
1979 "Icon Gold" W116 450SE

floyd111

Welcome indeed.
Might I suggest you take the car to another garage where the mechanics TELL you what's wrong, rather than tell you all is well?
Sounds like you're the non-mechanical type like I am. That means you are gonna need lots of help and advice.
Do you feel passionate about this car, enough to sink your teeth in, able and willing to spend money where it's needed, or are you going to move on after finding out there's costly issues and lots of things you don't understand?

Most people in here are pretty fanatical owners, and very technically-minded. Very helpful indeed, but I would suggest you tackle your car issues on a case-by-case bases, on a separate thread-per-issue, so you can keep focused and won't get sucked into a mentally taxing vortex of overlapping car issues and their -often confusing- remedies.
It allows you to write down the symptoms and the steps you've taken in detail, which will allow the techies in here to advise you in detail.
And we all like photos a lot, or it ain't real. ;)

floyd111

Mergyver

On the odometer problem check in with the guys at Overseas Speedometer at speedometer.com . They repaired mine and did a great job.

On the skipping beats at high speed the issue is usally with the throttle position sensor. The contacts on the printed board in the unit wear out. There is a guy on ebay that sells replacement boards. try searching for TPS printed circuit board. He focuses primarily on the D-Jet models so you can find him on older Porsche boards also.

On the red dash light you may want to take a quick look at your brake fluid reservoir. I thought I had the same issue on my 74 450SEL when I first got it. I may be wrong but I thought the light also came on when a leak in the system caused my fluid to run low.

Good luck. Not only do they make great daily drivers but they also look amazing.

1974 450SEL
1979 300SD
1989 560SL
2005 E320 CDI Recently deceased