News:

Please add your location to your profile. It will help others to help you!

Main Menu

W116 4.5 and 6.9 fuel assembly

Started by Jan S, 13 October 2020, 03:04 PM

Jan S

I have a 1975 W116 450 SE U.S. with a retrofitted 6.9 from the U.S.

The picture/illustration shows an assembly similar to mine currently in the car. I'm not sure the previous owners put in a K-jetronic assembly (originally D-jetronic in the car). Fuel filter is for 6.9, but no identification on pump and accumulator. The damper cage is old and apparently for a 450 SL (116 470 0516, "Bischoff")?

I'm replacing everything, hence and I need to put in the correct K-jetronic parts.

-- has the 6.9 a similar system with similar components, although not the same OEM numbers? I assume so ... if yes I can find the correct parts
-- Is the damper cage "empty" inside, i.e. a hollow can, can I reuse the old one since it's hard to find new ones (it's not leeking)

Would appreciate some advice. I'm emptying the tank on Sunday, the rest will follow ....
1975-mod W116 450 SE with 6.9 engine

hamidagha

I just did mine! I ordered a new damper cage from the MB dealer and he sold me a replacement which is just a copper u-tube! I just used the old one: it's main function I think is to stop the fuel slurping down from the tank.
Since then I got my hand on another original used one: you never know.
So I suggest you use what you have: don't fix it if it ain't broke 👍

Jan S

Thanks, hamidagha!

Yes, I believe I will clean it and reuse.

I just read this chain https://forum.w116.org/mechanicals/fuel-pump-assembly/

Very good!

TNNBENZ

Damper does what it says, damps the  pressure of vibration for noise & fuel pressure...
Neglected ~ Rescued ~ 1977 450SEL 4.5L  U.S.A. ver.
Project of Compassion ~ Respect
Silver Green Metallic / Toast
Left Hand Drive
Sliding Roof

TNNBENZ

ARE YOU FAMILIER WITH ADDED VALVE AND REVISIONS TO 4.5 THAT MAY PERTAIN TO 6.8 ??? YES I HAVE SEEN IT LISTED AS 6.8 MANY TIMES !!!
Left Hand Drive
Sliding Roof

Jan S

Thanks for your reply

I'm not sure which valve and revisions you are pointing at ... which probably means I'm not familiar with them.

When you say "seen it", are you meaning the damper?

TNNBENZ

The revisions were an added valve and changes to order of the fuel assembly install.  Oh the 6.8 is a confusing reference to the 6.9 engine.  I have seen many 6.8L references instead of 6.9L various technical sites & manuals during research of my Benz. Engine may be a 6.8L rounded up to 6.9L for marketing.... Who knows.....
I myself is looking for one of the revised valves, but this site is slow to respond to me. It is very disheartening to be neglected. I Thank-You 4 your response !!! :)
Left Hand Drive
Sliding Roof

ptashek

Quote from: TNNBENZ on 28 October 2020, 01:14 PM
I myself is looking for one of the revised valves, but this site is slow to respond to me. It is very disheartening to be neglected. I Thank-You 4 your response !!! :)

Well, you have not really provided any information that would enable us to help you.

Start with at least saying in which country you're located, then it might be easier to point at local parts sources if another member is located there.

Otherwise all we can point at is eBay.com or your local scrap yard or MB owners club.
1993 "Pearl Blue" W124 280TE
1988 "Arctic White" W124 200T
1979 "Icon Gold" W116 450SE