News:

Please add your location to your profile. It will help others to help you!

Main Menu

w116 300sd Tower Rocker Bolts

Started by xaliscomex, 22 August 2015, 08:55 AM

xaliscomex

Just wondering if anyone here has had any experience in removing the tower rocker arm bolts.

I recently had to remove a valve spring to replace the adjusting and locking nuts on valve #3 (cylinder #2).
Got some good advice and direction by forum members on peachaparts.

Now the problem is that after torquing down the tower bolts assembly at 38 Nm, both bolts were observed slightly reversing back a few centimeters (barely visible to the naked eye but nonetheless, visible.

No pressure was applied to reinstall the tower bolts, they actually screwed in by hand most of the way.
I then took my torque wreck and tighten them down.

And so after the click on my torque wrench, I released the pressure on the torque wrench and thats when I saw the bolt slightly very slightly move and turn back.  It looked more like when a bolt reaches its clockwise turning limit and you cannot tighten anymore because the part is bent forward so it naturally wants to bend back to its positioned.

I want to repeat that the correct torque value was applied but Im puzzled by the movement.

I feel like the torque spec is incorrect but I have checked the specs that were provided by valid manuals by forum members.

I do not want to start the car until I'm sure that the tower bolts are screwed in correctly.

If I would have just relied on the toque wrench click and stopped and moved on to the next job I would not be talking about this.  BUT I pay attention to detail as much as I can.  The tower was not under load and no cam lobe was observed making contact with the rockers when the tower was removed and reinstalled.

Only thing I remember doing to the remove the tower assembly, after removing the 2 tower bolts was hitting it lightly with a plastic mallet.  Really doubt that this action would have caused a problem but you never know.

Will leave it to the experts to advise me on what to do next.

Note:  Used a second torque wrench on the bolts to confirm proper torque spec.