News:

www.W116.org - By the people, for the people!

Main Menu

W116 300SD Large Bolts on wheel well inside trunk what are they for?

Started by cp361, 26 April 2012, 07:49 AM

curbill

I have the same set of bolts on both sides of my 300sd. Only difference is that there is a fuel tank along with them. This is the aux. tank that people talk about.

Big_Richard

curbill

It is connected from the bottom someway. There is only one filler and it seems to be the original one. It is different than my 126 as it opens downward not to the front. I am not familiar with other 116 's as these cars are not to popular in So FL. I will try to take a picture but there is not to much to see.

WGB

All 116's filler flaps are hinged at the bottom.

I always new that the diesels had a smaller tank than the petrols but never realised there was an auxillary tank.

Pictures please.

Bill

koan

Quote from: WGB on 13 May 2012, 08:21 PM
I always new that the diesels had a smaller tank than the petrols but never realised there was an auxillary tank.

Always assumed diesels had the standard 80 litre tank.

What are you thinking WGB? Same thing as me?
Boogity, Boogity, Boogity, Amen!

WGB

I was sure that Diesels had an 80 litre tank while petrols had a 95 litre tank.

I assumed Diesels were more economical and the lesser weight with a full tank helped the fuel consumption (CAFE regulations at the time were quoted as their raison d'etre). The same rule is applied with modern Benzes - my 212 E500 has an 80 litre tank but E200's only have a 66 litre tank (mind you the E63 comes with a 66 litre tank which somewhat defeats the purpose - apparently due to a larger diff)

Was the auxillary tank an option or a standard US fitting?

Bill

Squiggle Dog

I think the auxiliary fuel tank was an aftermarket accessory because supposedly there weren't as many stations that offered diesel. I've never seen one in person; only in pictures.
Stop paying for animal cruelty and slaughter. Go vegan! [url="https://challenge22.com/"]https://challenge22.com/[/url]

1967 W110 Universal Wagon, Euro, Turbo Diesel, Tail Fins, 4 Speed Manual Column Shift, A/C
1980 W116 300SD Turbo Diesel, DB479 Walnut Brown, Sunroof, Heated Seats, 350,000+

Big_Richard

jbrasile

WGB,

Aux tanks were an aftermarket addition during the 70's and 80's when Diesel fuel was not readily available at regular gas stations, I have seen quite a few 300SD's that had it, luckily my 79 300SD didn't... that was such an original car...

Tks,

Joe

cp361

Well I feel a lot better about the source of the bolts and purpose I won't be afraid to remove to clean carpet

WGB

Thanks for filling in the knowledge gaps Joe and Squiggle Dog.

Bill