News:

www.W116.org - By the people, for the people!

Main Menu

w116 300sd headlight switch

Started by xaliscomex, 05 July 2015, 04:45 PM

xaliscomex

1979 300sd headlight switch needs repair

Was having trouble removing it but finally I was able to disconnect it this morning.

The Problem:
Basically the knob spun around and around and would also NOT pull out to activate the headlights or fog lights.

Removed the speedometer cluster and saw that the switch housing had come apart.

Disconnected the headlight switch by slipping off the rubber boot.

Slipping off the boot allowed the bolted down wires to be exposed.
Took a few pictures so to reconnect the same way.

The metal housing that holds the headlight assembly somehow got detached from the plastic electrical body (switch).
I could see the crimp markings throughout the circumference of the housing.

I do not know the terminology for all of the different headlight switch parts but Im going to try to tackle it.

I'm hoping that once assembled, the switch will rotate and stop where its supposed to and not have an upside down or sideway switch operation.

Hope someone here has previous experience with taking these switches apart and putting them back together.

If I don't get it right after a few tries, I might just purchase a new switch to avoid all of the hassle of aligning the housing so that the switch aligns with the headlight, fog light and parking markings.

The switch came apart for a reason, so maybe these units are not meant to be repaired.

Please advise

Ray R

I have no experience repairing the switch as you're attempting to do.

But since you haven't seen a response yet, I'll just say if it was me, I'd install a new one to avoid having to potentially remove/repair it again later.

xaliscomex

I ordered one yesterday.  Will install and update to forum