News:

The ORG - No shonky business!

Main Menu

w116 300sd federal or CA

Started by xaliscomex, 05 January 2011, 10:50 PM

xaliscomex

Own a 1979 300sd. Car was sold out of California, Los Angeles on Figueroa St. to be exact. I've made several calls to dealers including one call to the classic center inquiring on my car being FEDERAL or CA. Initially based on where it was purchased one parts guy said it was CA. Last week I was asked for my vin# by the classic center and it was determined that my car was a Federal(49 state). That was determined by the data card which indicated a 491 option(3 digit) code. The classic center stated that it was a "U.S. version". Can someone here, with their expertise, explain the difference and maybe confirm with MB Classic Center that I am definitely driving around a "federal". I need to purchase the correct rotors and brake pads and do not want to play around or play the guessing game. Greatly appreciate the help

UTn_boy

Hi xaliscomex.  Federal and CA Mercedes differed usually only in the CA cars having more emission related things on them.  i.e. crank case ventilation routing valves, leaner running engines, etc.  Back in the day, a lot of other things were different than the Federal cars.  The fog lamp lenses were different on CA cars, and maybe the brake master cylinders.  I am sure there are some other things I am omitting.  Regardless, most of those things have all been superseded to the most common part, or the parts that would fit the Federal cars.  To my knowledge, all of the 300SD cars used the same brake rotors and pads, regardless of whether or not it was Federal or CA.  You should be ok to get brake parts for either the Federal or CA version.  They'll all fit and work as they should.  If there are any modifications to be made, it'll be very obvious and more of a bother than anything. 

Look on the inside of the drivers side door jamb B-pillar.  There should be an emission/catalyst sticker.  If it is a CA car, it'll be green or orange.  If it is a Federal car, it'll be black.  All cars whose domicile was the US had the '491' code.  I am unaware of a special code for CA bound cars.  Someone please correct me if I am wrong about anything.

A lot of times a Federal car would end up in CA having slipped through the stringent emission laws.  Was much easier to get away with back then than now, especially with a diesel, as it was almost impossible to get a diesel to meet California's emission requirements at that time.  A sales man would do what he had to do to make his money, even if it meant slipping one in through the cracks.  So who knows what your cars story is.  I hope I have helped, and I wouldn't put too much emphasis whether your car is Federal or CA when you order parts.  ;-)  AARON
1966 250se coupe`,black/dark green leather
1970 600 midnight blue/parchment leather
1971 300sel 6.3,papyrus white/dark red leather
1975 450se, pine green metallic/green leather
1973 300sel 4.5,silver blue metallic/blue leather
1979 450sel 516 red/bamboo