News:

The ORG - Truly Independent and Unbiased!

Main Menu

voltage regulator replacement

Started by stillmatic, 29 November 2018, 10:35 AM

stillmatic

Can someone please help with instructions on removing / replacing the voltage regulator? Can this be done with the alternator left in the engine bay or does it need to come out?
Michael

1978 280SE Euro Astral Silver/Blue MB Tex
1970 250C W114

daantjie

I can speak from a 6.9 perspective, and that engine is huge, so if it has space to do it with alternator in situ then I assume it can be done for all models.  Pretty simple.  Remove the 2 screws holding it in place, then you have to rotate it slightly as you remove it.  For install you also have to angle/rotate it into place, be careful not to damage the brushes.  One of the easier jobs for sure.
Daniel
1977 450 SEL 6.9 - Astralsilber

daantjie

Daniel
1977 450 SEL 6.9 - Astralsilber

irvine

If you have the 280se in your bio it's SUPER EASY.
-jack up the car,
-slid under,
-easy access 2 screws and disconnect the wiring.

-5 min job done.

I cleaned up all the associated wiring and earth strap connections in the area while I was at it.

Neil.

stillmatic

Dan, thanks for the link, I had it too but old uncle Kent is also selling an instructions manual to come with it which made me wonder if it's a bit more complicated than I initially thought - why sell a manual for a 5min job but I guess we all know the answer to that. Thought it's best to check here before trying stuff on my own, I wasn't aware that you have to twist it slightly as you pull out and put back in for example.

Neil, thanks a lot, it is indeed the 280SE, I'll be trying your instructions today!
Michael

1970 250C W114

stillmatic

I can't find the regulator, am I just being thick here? There's limited visibility from beneath and from the engine bay I stand no chance to see or feel underneath the alternator.
Michael

1970 250C W114

irvine

If you look in my car thread in "test drive" "new member and first Benz" I added a load of pics of the process.

((If you climb under the RHS of the engine bay, look up at the alternator, there will be a black plastic part clipped in with wires coming from it. That's the voltage regulator))

Neil.

UTn_boy

There were two different versions used on the 280se, but both were essentially the same in general looks, and both were located on the back of the alternator.  Though, I have seen some Australian cars that had off brand alternators installed that required the mounting of an external regulator somewhere in the engine bay.  Apparently, this was a cheap alternative to having to buy the correct part.  The picture below shows where it should be located.....provided you still have a Bosch alternator on your engine.  It's the white device with the black center that is screwed to the back of the alternator.

1966 250se coupe`,black/dark green leather
1970 600 midnight blue/parchment leather
1971 300sel 6.3,papyrus white/dark red leather
1975 450se, pine green metallic/green leather
1973 300sel 4.5,silver blue metallic/blue leather
1979 450sel 516 red/bamboo

stillmatic

Got it now, thanks! One of the screws is stuck in so I need to come up with a solution to get that unstuck at a pretty weird angle but I'm getting there! Thanks everyone for your help.
Michael

1970 250C W114