News:

The ORG - No back-slapping boys club!

Main Menu

Vaseline

Started by TNNBENZ, 16 November 2021, 02:05 PM

TNNBENZ

Would Vaseline b a good dielectric grease ?
Neglected ~ Rescued ~ 1977 450SEL 4.5L  U.S.A. ver.
Project of Compassion ~ Respect
Silver Green Metallic / Toast
Left Hand Drive
Sliding Roof

rumb

'68 250S
'77 6.9 Euro
'91 300SE,
'98 SL500
'14 CLS550,
'16 AMG GTS
'21 E450 Cabrio

TNNBENZ

I just learned I have been using dielectric grease the wrong way.  So glad I asked.  Thank-you......This helped me sooooo  much....... ;)
Left Hand Drive
Sliding Roof

raueda1

Quote from: rumb on 16 November 2021, 02:09 PM
LMGTFY  ;D

https://askanydifference.com/difference-between-dielectric-grease-and-vaseline/
I'm astounded that the article says that vaseline is a good electrical conductor.  It's a mixture of aliphatic hydrocarbons which are not conductive any more than polyethylene, etc. Moreover, it's very pure compared to other greases which often contain all sorts of additives like metal soaps etc for antiwear, metal passivation etc.  There's a lot of info on the interwebs saying that it IS conductive but nowhere does anybody provide any actual conductivity data.  So I'm calling BS on the conductivity claim.  This causes me to question the rest.
-Dave
Now:  1976 6.9 Euro, 2015 GL550
Before that:  1966 230S, 1964 220SE coupe, 1977 Carrera 3.0

TNNBENZ

I to have seen the same reaction to the conductivity of dielectric grease.  50% say it is conductive. I think as of now it is not. You use it to prevent moisture & debris, not to aid in conductivity, which is what I thought tit did !!!  These two properties do help conductivity but not directly, as a consequence !!! Some claim this gives a more direct & smaller path for current 2 flow.  Mayb a marketing stretch to sell product. 
     Vaseline , I must study more 2 deceide.   Thank-u again,  You always provide good information, .............thankx...........
Left Hand Drive
Sliding Roof