News:

www.W116.org - The #1 resource for our W116! Established 2004

Main Menu

Valve Cover Brush/Baffle?

Started by sethkestenbaum, 27 January 2020, 06:10 PM

sethkestenbaum

Is there supposed to be some sort of baffle or brush that goes between the valve cover and the hose that extends to the air filter?  If so, what is the part number?  I had a mechanic tell me that my car was missing the part but I can't seem to find a part number. He said it pushes into the valve cover and helps keep oil in the engine (as opposed to getting pushed into the tube).

Thanks, Seth
Seth Kestenbaum
oldcarroadtrip.com
1929 Model A Ford Phaeton
1969 VW Bug Convertible
1980 300 SD Turbo Diesel getting fixed up
1980 300 SD Turbo Diesel rusty parts donor car

UTn_boy

If you're referring to your diesel, the answer is no.  None of the diesels had what was called a "flame trap" filter.  However, the majority of the gas engines did have a flame trap.  Part number 000-018-32-60.  Oddly, the parts catalog shows that the fuel injected M-110 engines and the late M-116 engine did not have this filter.  Then again, EPC and even the books aren't always correct.  Regardless, I've never seen any diesel have this filter.  I can only assume that they didn't because the diesels have higher crankcase pressure that could potentially dislodge the filter, as the filter is only held in place by a loose interference fit.  If you're getting a lot of oil into your air filter housing it means your piston rings are excessively worn.  It's not really anything to worry about, but adding a filter could cause a slight enough of an increase in crankcase pressure to start causing oil leaks from crankshaft seals and any other orifice oil can find to leak out of on the block.  The inside of the valve cover has a baffle riveted on to it.  This alone will keep oil out of the tube.  But this is only true if worn piston rings aren't a factor, as this will cause excess crankcase pressures to push the oil into the tube past the baffle, and eventually into the air filter housing. Furthermore, I don't think the area on the diesel valve cover the tube connects to is large enough in diameter to accept one of these filters.....but as always I could be remembering incorrectly. 
1966 250se coupe`,black/dark green leather
1970 600 midnight blue/parchment leather
1971 300sel 6.3,papyrus white/dark red leather
1975 450se, pine green metallic/green leather
1973 300sel 4.5,silver blue metallic/blue leather
1979 450sel 516 red/bamboo

sethkestenbaum

Thanks UTn_boy.  I know I am getting a little oil in the air filter housing.  Has anyone on the forum attempted to use a metal brush "flame trap" with the diesel?  What was the result?
Seth Kestenbaum
oldcarroadtrip.com
1929 Model A Ford Phaeton
1969 VW Bug Convertible
1980 300 SD Turbo Diesel getting fixed up
1980 300 SD Turbo Diesel rusty parts donor car