News:

www.W116.org - By the people, for the people!

Main Menu

Valve Adjustment with 3.0 Diesel

Started by gberger, 19 May 2007, 04:09 PM

gberger

What is the typical cost to have the valves adjusted by a shop?  This service is recommended in the book every 15,000 miles and I want to make sure I am not being screwed by shop.  I want to learn how to do this myself in the future to stop giving my money away.

I am the proud owner of a 1980 300 SD Turbo Diesel W116.  I found the vehicle in Palm Desert California in 2006.  I have gradually restored the vehicle mechanically and appearance wise back to original OEM.

Brian Crump

I suggest you find a reliable and reputable mechanic in your area and ask them to quote on the job. As this forum is an international one, the costs in one country will not necessarily apply in your country.
If you build up a healthy relationship with a mechanic you will know in advance what to expect.
Yes -great idea to learn to do it yourself. No - you are not giving your money away; you are getting a service in exchange. The important thing is to ensure you get good, reliable service by building up that relationship.
If I have not already said so, then welcome to the forum and I hope your 116 is everything you wish for.
Regards,
BC

gberger

BC,

Most kind and appreciated my friend.  I know I am not throwing money away it is just the fact that one garage was outrageous and was trying to make his months wages off me.  Laughing,..... I did meet a good guy yesterday who is 3rd generation with German cars and he ensures me he will take good care of my car.  I have an appt with him tomorrow morning to drop her off.  Thanks for your welcome as well

Greg
I am the proud owner of a 1980 300 SD Turbo Diesel W116.  I found the vehicle in Palm Desert California in 2006.  I have gradually restored the vehicle mechanically and appearance wise back to original OEM.