News:

The ORG - No back-slapping boys club!

Main Menu

USA Source for Limited Slip

Started by Rolo, 08 November 2021, 10:37 PM

Rolo

My LSD has totally given up.  Need to be really carefully in the rain or you get a pretty good slide going.

I know SPOB in Germany can rebuild and since getting a rebuilt suspension pump from them last year, I know they know their stuff.

Any local sources for a rebuild?  Thank you

daantjie

I think Robert (rumb) did a full diff rebuild so he might be a good source of info.  Pretty sure he posted on this as well.
Daniel
1977 450 SEL 6.9 - Astralsilber

rumb

I spent a lot of time and too many $$$ on doing mine and I think it ended up a bit less than ideal.

MB only sells a few odd sizes of the clutch discs and I think the plates.  The new aftermarket clutch discs I bought on fleabay and were entirely different thicknesses.  I ended up putting in a combination of new and old MB discs and some aftermarket discs.  I had custom plate shims made in several thicknesses. 

Loading the clutch pack into the difff is an exercise in 4 hands of work with 2 hands. You have to rotate the assembly into place and can easily get the whole thing jammed in there and very difficult to remove again.  It's a trial and error process that you repeat many times

I ended up with "it's assembled sort of close enough I hope".  Not my finest work.

To do better you would need and old axle shaft, cut it and weld adapter to torque wrench onto it.

If you are interested I can send you all the info I have.

I would consider a pro doing it unless you are very mechanically inclined.

https://www.german-spob.com/start.php?artikel_id=17655&start=0&language=eng&nr=e9bf82c7228f3a08f617d2fa78735dee&seite=details_suche_gebrteile&search_ersatzteil=differential%20w116&paget=gebr

ouch EURO 2400!!
'68 250S
'77 6.9 Euro
'91 300SE,
'98 SL500
'14 CLS550,
'16 AMG GTS
'21 E450 Cabrio

Rolo

Thanks.  SPOB may be my only alternative.  They definitely know what they're doing and it will be the last rebuild I'll need.

TNNBENZ

Quote from: rumb on 09 November 2021, 11:28 AM
I spent a lot of time and too many $$$ on doing mine and I think it ended up a bit less than ideal.

MB only sells a few odd sizes of the clutch discs and I think the plates.  The new aftermarket clutch discs I bought on fleabay and were entirely different thicknesses.  I ended up putting in a combination of new and old MB discs and some aftermarket discs.  I had custom plate shims made in several thicknesses. 

Loading the clutch pack into the difff is an exercise in 4 hands of work with 2 hands. You have to rotate the assembly into place and can easily get the whole thing jammed in there and very difficult to remove again.  It's a trial and error process that you repeat many times

I ended up with "it's assembled sort of close enough I hope".  Not my finest work.

To do better you would need and old axle shaft, cut it and weld adapter to torque wrench onto it.

If you are interested I can send you all the info I have.

I would consider a pro doing it unless you are very mechanically inclined.

https://www.german-spob.com/start.php?artikel_id=17655&start=0&language=eng&nr=e9bf82c7228f3a08f617d2fa78735dee&seite=details_suche_gebrteile&search_ersatzteil=differential%20w116&paget=gebr

ouch EURO 2400!!
Plus 19,90 Euros shipping cost Germany .    Wonder if a rebuilt is available somewhere & the cost ???
Neglected ~ Rescued ~ 1977 450SEL 4.5L  U.S.A. ver.
Project of Compassion ~ Respect
Silver Green Metallic / Toast
Left Hand Drive
Sliding Roof

Alec300SD

Wavetrac 50-309-150WK is another viable option for a W116, and no need to replace clutch packs at a later date.
Total cost will be about the same $$$.
You need a 210mm differential with a 3.06 or 2.65 final drive ratio.

A 3.06 ratio differential is being setup with a Wavetrac differential for 'Stormcloud' by Ring & Pinion Service out of Rancho Cordova.
I tried to obtain all new parts for the professional installation
Unfortunately, 3.06 and 2.65 ring and pinion sets, axle shims, and lateral bearing cap shims (8 bolt hole style) are NLA.
New OEM bearings are available and have been installed.

An assortment of used lateral bearing cap shims were harvested from my spare eBay differentials (3.06 for 'Stormcloud' and 2.65 for 'Desert Rose'), and Pick-N-Pull field trips.
The only setback is getting the endplay just right.
Three weeks ago, I was informed that the endplay is a bit too tight by about 0.004" to 0.008" with the thinnest OEM shim I was able to acquire.
Today, I dropped off shim stock to have a set of thinner lateral bearing cap shims waterjet cut and deburred.

Looking forward to driving 'Stormcloud' with the improved traction after going from the stock open differential to the Wavetrac.
78 W116 300SD 'Desert Rose' new as of 01/26/2014
79 W116 300SD 'Stormcloud' RIP 04/11/2022

daantjie

Here is one on ebay, used though of course:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/333656899643?hash=item4daf80403b:g:5roAAOSwDLlfEIge

And if you can live without LSD, this one with 1:3.06 ratio (450 SEL non 6.9 by the looks of it) looks like a steal out of Argentina, I have bought from them before, top notch service and no problems:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/183769253106?hash=item2ac98044f2:g:HUYAAOSwxupbHxYk

Daniel
1977 450 SEL 6.9 - Astralsilber

Rolo

Thanks but a 6.9 without LSD becomes a drift car.