News:

The ORG - No back-slapping boys club!

Main Menu

Update on the 6.9, maiden voyage

Started by Ub2693v, 14 April 2018, 04:51 PM

Ub2693v

Finally got all the fuel system parts, put them all in last night and now the car runs beautifully, the old pump was super loud and I imagine didn't produce enough pressure for the fuel system to function properly.
Put about ten miles on the odometer this morning and it drives quite nice. Nice shifts, smooth power delivery and the suspension rides excellent. I was amazed at how well it handles railroad crossings, couldn't even feel them.
Gave it good look over after the ride and noticed the hose from the pump to the hydraulic tank was leaking at both ends so I will need to have a new one built and do all the other hoses while I'm at it.
Bought some w126 15" wheels and tires since I couldn't find an affordable good quality 215 70 14. Had to wait a week though because I needed longer lug nuts.
Took the seats and carpet out today, windshield has been leaking and the foam is water logged, pretty gross, going to be tricky to find the appropriate backing, for the time being I am going to use some insulating pads that I can get from my employer dirt cheap, it's used on city buses, pretty good stuff.
The floor was surprisingly still solid, no holes, no weak spots some surface rust, I'm going to clean the rust out and paint it with miracle paint.

Anyway, going pretty well so far, it's a joy to work on!!
Jesse

1977 450SEL 6.9  2760

daantjie

Sounds like you got a good one there nicely done  8)
Daniel
1977 450 SEL 6.9 - Astralsilber

Harv

1980 300SD
1983 240D
2000 E55 AMG
2002 G500

Ub2693v

That's the exact tire I bought!!
But 205 65 15, guess I should have searched a little harder ;D
Jesse

1977 450SEL 6.9  2760

daantjie

Quote from: Ub2693v on 14 April 2018, 04:51 PM
Finally got all the fuel system parts, put them all in last night and now the car runs beautifully, the old pump was super loud and I imagine didn't produce enough pressure for the fuel system to function properly.
Put about ten miles on the odometer this morning and it drives quite nice. Nice shifts, smooth power delivery and the suspension rides excellent. I was amazed at how well it handles railroad crossings, couldn't even feel them.
Gave it good look over after the ride and noticed the hose from the pump to the hydraulic tank was leaking at both ends so I will need to have a new one built and do all the other hoses while I'm at it.
Bought some w126 15" wheels and tires since I couldn't find an affordable good quality 215 70 14. Had to wait a week though because I needed longer lug nuts.
Took the seats and carpet out today, windshield has been leaking and the foam is water logged, pretty gross, going to be tricky to find the appropriate backing, for the time being I am going to use some insulating pads that I can get from my employer dirt cheap, it's used on city buses, pretty good stuff.
The floor was surprisingly still solid, no holes, no weak spots some surface rust, I'm going to clean the rust out and paint it with miracle paint.

Anyway, going pretty well so far, it's a joy to work on!!

The high pressure feed line is a common leak point after all these years. Last I checked they were still available from the Classic Centre.
Also check the very common leak spot under the fuse box rusting into the firewall as well as around the hood release cable grommet. Almost all 116' s leak here due to poor design of water drainage. Very tough spot to work in and fix  :o
Daniel

rumb

while you have the floor mats and all out, run a light hose sprayed over the front air intake (just below windshield) and in the hinge pocket areas on the firewall to locate any possible water infiltration areas.  remove the plastic panel are the rear of the front wheel wells and clean out any accumulated dirt and look for any possible rust.
'68 250S
'77 6.9 Euro
'91 300SE,
'98 SL500
'14 CLS550,
'16 AMG GTS
'21 E450 Cabrio

Ub2693v

Thanks for the advice, I'll check those areas for rust, I spent a good amount of time with an air chuck cleaning the engine compartment, I know for sure the windshield rubber leaks.
The hood cable snapped so I'm sure I'll get very familiar with the grommet at the firewall. Does not look like a fun job to do!!
Jesse

1977 450SEL 6.9  2760

floyd111

Ub2693v

These are the only ones I have so far, more to come :)
Jesse

1977 450SEL 6.9  2760

Ub2693v

I pulled the hood cable grommet out of the firewall, not rusted out luckily, but I see what you guys mean about a water collection point if that drain clogs!!
Jesse

1977 450SEL 6.9  2760

Harv

That is only 1 spot. Water leaks in behind the fuse box that basically is impossible to see.
1980 300SD
1983 240D
2000 E55 AMG
2002 G500

daantjie

Quote from: Harv on 16 April 2018, 08:04 PM
That is only 1 spot. Water leaks in behind the fuse box that basically is impossible to see.

Indeed this is an area where a deep dive is needed. The sound deadening was a good idea I guess but it really acted like a sponge holding on to any and all water entering the cab. Looks like you dodged most of the bullets but don't be too sure until you've looked in every nook and cranny.
Daniel

Ub2693v

That is for sure!! I learned that lesson the hard way on a Nissan Maxima a few years back, went to jack it up to do a brake job and the jack went through the subframe!!
I've lived in the rust belt for 40 years, regardless of make and model cars generally suffer from rust in the same  areas as the next brand with each having its own rust "niche" if you will.
My main concern with this particular car is the windshield area, it is structural and a real pain to fix correctly.
If this car would have seen a lot of salt the fuel pump assembly would be hell of a lot rustier than this 8)
Jesse

1977 450SEL 6.9  2760

Ub2693v

Recent pics of the floor, one small hole found above the passenger side converter about 1" diameter, that sound deadening material makes for a great sponge, short term I am going to use some armaflex insulation I can get at work, long term not really sure, I would imagine it's impossible to find in decent used condition, I'll see how the armaflex holds up, over the summer.
Got plugs and wires today and will be dropping off the hydraulic hoses to see if the local shop can make them.
The firewall insulation was full of Barely alive ants, better than snakes or spiders I guess!!
Jesse

1977 450SEL 6.9  2760

floyd111

..this place is indeed an asylum ;)!