News:

The Org - Serving W116 Enthusiasts since 2004!

Main Menu

update of progress on my W116 450SEL

Started by Pete49, 15 September 2018, 10:39 PM

Pete49

An update on my progress so far.Well I made a start on the vacuum system and now have fixed/repaired the passenger door lock, boot lock and fuel door lock and started on the drivers side rear door. The passenger rear door is giving me so trouble as I can't remove the rear screw on the door handle/armrest. Anyone any ideas?
What this country needs are more unemployed politicians.
Edward Langley,  Artist (1928-1995)

daantjie

Yes those Phillips head screws can be tough.  They sit very deep too so it makes it hard to line up the screwdriver perfectly to the head.  Best advice I have is to use a fairly beefy screwdriver with a large head and as long as you have so you can put a lot of torque on it.  Worse case is that it is stripped by former ham-fisted attempts.  I guess you can try and drill the head off to remove the handle but then you risk damage to the handle and potentially the mounting plate and door.
Tough one, best is to go slow and put as much pressure as you can on the head of the screw so that it starts to turn.
Good luck!
Daniel
1977 450 SEL 6.9 - Astralsilber

marku

Had the same problem. Make sure to try all the previous suggestions and failing everything else ease the door panel free all around and particularly on the side nearest the handle fixing and so you can just about see it. Then take a long cold chisel and hammer and drive the screw and captive nut out of its retaining pressing in the door. Drastic but I had to do it and it is repairable.
1974 450SE silver green/bamboo velour/green vinyl roof

Diesel 617

A trick to get the leverage you need:
Get a big beefy screwdriver
Pair of large vice grips

Clamp the vice grips onto the screwdriver handle (can wrap it in cloth or cardboard to protect the handle). Make sure the vice grips are tight so they wont slide off. Insert the screwdriver into the screw head and using one hand cover the head of the screwdriver to keep pressure and keep the screwdriver into the screwhead. Use the the vice grips as a handle to rotate and break the screw free. The vice grips give you the extra leverage that makes getting that screw out a breeze.
X3 1980 300SD Blown Heads, trans -Retired
1980 450SEL Parted out/Scrap
1980 450SEL to Diesel Parted Out/Scrap
1979 280SE Euro Spec Cloth Seats Sold
1979 300CD Daily Driver - Sold

Inventory of w116 Parts
[url="https://www.ebay.com/usr/vintagepartsandstuff"]https://www.ebay.com/usr/vintagepartsandstuff[/url]

Pete49

Thanks for all the tips guys. I have it sorted now  ;D. I tried the tips here with no avail and ended up drilling out the head without a problem so just need to replace the bolt which should be easy. I'll work on the vacuum in the morning as I'm getting ready to go out now.

irvine

Have you replaced or upgraded any parts, I need to do this myself but it's on of those boring jobs I don't want to start.

Neil.

Pete49

I've repaired a few of the rubber cups that were leaking with RTV silicon goop and nitril glove strips and works ok with no leaks so the doors etc. now operate as they should. the rubber cups that were ok I sprayed with armourall to help preserve them. Fairly easy job once I got started.

marku

Didn't someone post here that they had found a generally available diaphragm that with a few minor alterations worked OK?

Pete49

I did see 1 repair were a bicycle tube and zip ties are used. Is that the one you mean?

ptashek

Quote from: marku on 18 September 2018, 11:19 AM
Didn't someone post here that they had found a generally available diaphragm that with a few minor alterations worked OK?

I've used these. They're still keeping perfect vacuum for months on end (must be 6 years by now).
https://mercedessource.com/store/1973-1980-vacuum-door-lock-actuator-single-rubber-diaphragm

They were about half-price back then though...
1993 "Pearl Blue" W124 280TE
1988 "Arctic White" W124 200T
1979 "Icon Gold" W116 450SE

Alec300SD

I haven't ordered them yet, but the diaphragms are also availabe here:

http://www.perfanalysis.com/solutions/gears/
78 W116 300SD 'Desert Rose' new as of 01/26/2014
79 W116 300SD 'Stormcloud' RIP 04/11/2022

marku

Quote from: Pete49 on 18 September 2018, 10:13 PM
I did see 1 repair were a bicycle tube and zip ties are used. Is that the one you mean?

Probably I think people have tried all sorts of things even glueing thin rubber over tears in the diaphragm. Someone knowledgeable should compile a list of all the alternative sources it would be really useful. No doubt I have forgotten or just missed it and it has already been done.

Pete49

good news everybody  8) The beast is registered and 'on the road again'  ;D Thanks everyone for all the assistance.

Randys01

well done. Time to get some nice miles in............

Pete49

yep the miles have started adding up and what a joy to drive. Changes smooth as silk and purrs just like it should. ;D