News:

www.W116.org - By the people, for the people!

Main Menu

Tyres

Started by gregdeklerk, 02 May 2007, 04:34 AM

gregdeklerk

Anyone have a particular preference when it comes to tyre brands? I know certain tyres are quieter and give better grip. I have heard that Michelin are good??

oscar

I've never bought tyres ::)  but of the 15, 14" tyres in my posession, Goodyear and BobJane tyres seem to be a popular choice amongst PO's of my cars.

Personally, I'd probably choose the same however, upon seeing an old Michelin (not XWX, the other type) in the boot of the 280S, I'd like to have a set of XWX's for show purposes, if I ever get to compete.

But!! I remember my dad getting modern michelins on the 350 in the early 90's believing they were the bees-kness and then complained that they were overpriced for very little tread and in the end, cheaper bridgestones outlasted the michelins.

I wonder sometimes if modern construction techniques and compounds really differ that much between the big brands.  Even these Simex and the other no name brand I can't remember, donated by the 280S and now on the 350 are riding very well.
1973 350SE, my first & fave

Martin 280s

I use Goodyear's, never had any trouble with them and they DO have a 90,000km warranty.

WGB

I put on a set of Dunlops which were only AUD$99 each - my hoon days are over but I still drive with some verve along windy roads and have been quite happy with them.

Wish I could get tyres for my newer cars as cheaply.

Bill

Brian Crump

I am NOT happy with the Michelins I put on the 450SE. They ride and grip well but they tram-line and I don't like that on narrow Sydney city roads. Yes - the alignment is correct and the steering box is good - and the tie rod ends etc are all in order.  I have always sworn by Michelin or Continental but have Dunlops on the ML and they are terrific for grip and length of life. And cheap.
However, my experience of Bridgestone has been dismal....
My experience of Kumho on a Kia rental in Iceland was appalling - but then maybe it was the vehicle as much as the tyres.
I think it qualities vary a lot within a brand and would not dismiss some of the less well known brands.
If you have to ask how much the Avons (now part of Cooper Tyres of the USA) on the R-R cost you can't afford them.....$1200 each!!! (Shhhh - don't tell) - and they are NOT fantastic. :o
Regards,
BC

WGB

Quote from: Brian Crump on 02 May 2007, 05:46 AM

I have always sworn by Michelin or Continental but have Dunlops on the ML and they are terrific for grip and length of life. And cheap.
Regards,
BC

Not happy with Dunlops on my wife's ML - nearly worn out in 25,000 km. Went back to Pirelli's but original continentals were very good as well.

Bill

James R

If you want the correct "V" speed rating for a 6.9 in the UK then there is only one tyre available in 14". The Michelin XWX. Over here they cost £200 plus fitting costs. Extortionate. Mine has them already luckily and they'll be down to the threads before I replace them.

James
1978 450SEL 6.9 - GONE!

1979 450SEL - GONE!

s class

I SWEAR by the expensive Bridgestone Turanza GR50 in 205/70HR14.  They are no longer available, but you may be lucky and find old stock.  They are crisp, precise with superp steering response, but a little harsh and noisy.  I averaged 50 000km of vigorous driving per set that I had.  The new cheaper Bridgestone B700 is terrible. 

I have older Michelin MXTEs (205/70TR14) on a set of Bundts and they are OK if you drive sedately.  Luxurious ride, quiet, but grip is poor, - especially laterally - the back end feels loose, and there is bags of understeer on hard cornering.  I'm not sure how more recent Michelins compare, but it would be fair to say that in general Michelin is known for comfort, quietness, high price, and performance that is good, but not commensurate with the price.

I tried also Nankang NE826 in 205/70HR14 - they were good, but suffered from delamination and bulging. 

Ryan

[color=blue]'76 6.9 Euro[/color], [color=red]'78 6.9 AMG[/color], '80 280SE, [color=brown]'74 350SE[/color], [color=black]'82 500SEL euro full hydro, '83 500SEL euro full hydro [/color], '81 500SL

nathan

styria,
where in hell can we get xwx's for 400 bucks each?? Coker in melbourne quoted 877 each when they were in production runs every few years...my mohican has a full set on although admittedly getting light on tread, i count the $ in my head each time i whip it around a corner!  i would get a new set at that price, but i know that i have problems!
regards
nathan
1979 116 6.9 #6436
2018 213 e63
2011 212 e63
2011 463 g55
2007 211 e500 wagen
1995 124 e320 cabriolet
1983 460 300gd
1981 123 280te

SELfor50

I got 17" factory merc rims (from a newer model) fitted to the 450SEL...
Got Continental's on them, and they ride REALLY sweet...  with the new shocks it's still a bit of a boat but with they 17x8's i'm holding my own on round abouts now.   ;D

WGB

In 1979 a friend on mine with a 450SE drove back from the service agent in Dunedin NZ to his farm (a distance of 66 miles) and was travelling at 120 to 140 km/hr with a new set of Michelins fitted when a front tyre blew. He had just paid $1200 for the set (in 1979) and took them straight back and had them changed for something more mundane.

I don't really have a good thing to say about Michelins other than they look nice.

My 230SLK's rear Michelins lasted 18,000 km and the fronts about 25,000km. The rears were $600 each in 1997 and so I opted for  Dunlop 904's in the same size. I thought the Dunlops were quieter and held on as well as I required - then they lasted for 45,000km and cost less than $300 each at the time.

I think the fronts were never changed after that initial change and I sold the car with 65,000 km on it.

Bill

Andrew280SEL

has anyone ever heard of...um...Madesons I think. Something like that.

Any comments on these?

The only thing I can say about them, is they are probably a bit of a harder ride than compared to my dads 450's Michelins.
'79 280SEL- 560,000 Kms
'73 350SE- getting an AMG facelift
'79 450SEL 6.9

WGB

Quote from: Andrew280SEL on 03 May 2007, 03:16 AM
has anyone ever heard of...um...Madesons I think. Something like that.

I thought it was some sort of a cocktail ;D

Maybe after two or three of them the ride just feels a lot better.

Andrew280SEL

'79 280SEL- 560,000 Kms
'73 350SE- getting an AMG facelift
'79 450SEL 6.9