News:

The ORG - 100% FREE advice!

Main Menu

Turn signals died today...

Started by The Warden, 29 June 2006, 11:55 AM

The Warden

Hello!

The turn signals on my 116 no longer flash. This just happened today, as far as I can tell. All four bulbs are working properly, but when I push the stalk down (or up for a right turn), the lights turn on and stay on steadily. The same thing happens (with all four lights) when I use the hazard switch. I'm also hearing a buzzing noise from somewhere under the dash (it sounds like it's behind the instrument cluster) when trying to use the turn signal.

The first thought that crossed my mind is that a flasher died, but IIRC M-B turn signal setups are nothing like how most American cars are set up. So, what should I be looking at?

Thanks in advance :)

alabbasi

You have a short somewhere. Check your tail lights first.
With best regards

Al
Dallas, TX USA.

The Warden

Could this be a short internal to a bulb? Or is it more likely to be a wiring issue?

I ask because of the suddenness with which this happened...

The Warden

Okay, I just pulled each and every bulb and tried it again. Even with all four bulbs removed (and also with one or two bulbs installed), the system did exactly the same thing. Steady ON, with that buzzing coming from in front of the instrument cluster.

I also looked at the bulbs themselves; everything looked fine. I didn't see any wiring issues.

Any other thoughts? Alternately, where's the flasher on these cars? I still have a gut feeling that the flasher (or whatever M-B's equivelant was) is the culprit...

Thanks again!

Papalangi

I think they will do that if the hazard switch gets stuck between full on and full off.

Try cycling the switch a few dozen times to see if it helps.

Michael
'83 300SD, I'm back!  It's the son's new car (12/2020)
1976 450SEL, 116.033  Sold it to buy a '97 Crown Vic.  Made sense at the time.
1971 250C, 114.023
1976 280C
1970 250/8

The Warden

Already tried that :( I also just took the hazard switch apart and cleaned it...no change (even though it was dirty on the inside).

And, as if I needed proof that this setup is completely different from the 123, I took the entire center console assembly apart, and no signs of anything even remotely resembling a flasher (I know that, on the 123, the flasher's located forward of the gearshift lever and is a black box). On the other hand, I got the gearshift lever tighened up and cleaned up everything down there... :)

Nutz

It's the flasher seeing the lights light up on the desired side. The flasher is black plastic,about 2 inches long,1 inch square and is located up behind the parking brake pedal when depressed ,against the firewall. It's tucked in there pretty good also.Hope my description leads you in the right direction  8)

oscar

When you guys say "flasher", are you talking about the relay?  Relays are in the front of the fusebox?  Though the noise you describe has me baffled as far as it being in the dash, not under the hood.
1973 350SE, my first & fave

BAR

The buzzing noise would seem to indicate that the turn indicator relay is sticking 'on'.  This relay is also what you hear 'clicking' on and off when things are working properly. 

To the best of my knowledge this is located on the side panel under the dash between the door and firewall.  It accessed by removing the hard panel covered in carpet. There are several relays located there.

s class

Nutz is correct with his diagnosis and location description.  I had the same problem on my 280SE.  My orignal unit had a 116..... part number, but new it was expensive and i couldn't find one at a breaker's yard.  On their recommendation I substituted a 123..... numbered unit.  I did first make sure the schematic printed on the units was the same before installing.  Been working perfectly since

Ryan

[color=blue]'76 6.9 Euro[/color], [color=red]'78 6.9 AMG[/color], '80 280SE, [color=brown]'74 350SE[/color], [color=black]'82 500SEL euro full hydro, '83 500SEL euro full hydro [/color], '81 500SL

The Warden

FWIW, I found it...and couldn't find a Mercedes part number on it to save my life! In fact, there isn't a 3-pointed star anywhere on the box or on the relay itself. It has a Bosch part number, though; the number is 0 335 200 007. I have a feeling this has been replaced before. I pulled the relay and plug off of the bracket it was mounted to and turned on the 4-way hazards...and this is clearly the part that's buzzing. Not that I'm surprised, but still. I tested it a few times, and one or two of those times, the dash indicator lights actually started blinking normally (although a little faster than usual; I think that's because there was no load on the system since all four "main" bulbs are still removed).

Now, I get to talk to my buddy who works at a Mercedes dealer and see how much it is. I'm in the middle of moving and job-hunting, so I don't really have time to go to a junkyard (the closest one is a half hour's drive away, and it's hard to find any M-B's at all, let alone a 116)...but, if it's ridiculously expensive, I may not have a choice in the matter.

BTW, at least my relay was actually not right up against the firewall. I had to remove the lower vent ducting (the one that goes into the driver's side door) to get to it. But, maybe they located it in a different spot on the diesels for some reason?

Thanks again 8)

The Warden

Just an update...

I just got back from the dealer. I got a replacement flasher relay for $50 after all's said and done. If I didn't know someone who works there, it would have been more like $90 :o

And, if anyone is interested, the Mercedes part number for the box is A 001 544 97 32.

BTW, turn signals and hazard lights work beautifully now...

Thank you all!!!

oscar

Quote from: oscar on 30 June 2006, 03:29 AM
  Relays are in the front of the fusebox? 
Quote from: Nutz on 30 June 2006, 12:38 AM

The flasher is black plastic,about 2 inches long,1 inch square and is located up behind the parking brake pedal when depressed ,against the firewall.

Well that's all very helpful.  God knows what I've been looking at.  My L indicator flashes slightly faster than the right.  At least I know where to look now when it finally gives out.

The Warden

Quote from: oscar on 05 July 2006, 02:07 AMMy L indicator flashes slightly faster than the right.  At least I know where to look now when it finally gives out.
Dumb question, but have you checked the bulbs on both sides?

I haven't had a bulb fail yet on the 116, but on the 123, when one bulb goes out, that side blinks faster than "normal".

Just an idea... :)

oscar

Yeah I know what you mean.  All bulbs are fine as far as they all work.  Mind you another check to make sure all contacts are clean and dry wouldn't hurt.  Ages ago a bit if water got into somewhere and when the fog lights were turned on the R fog and L indicator would come on.  At the moment the L side flashes only a tad faster.  It's only really noticeable if you make a point of judging its speed. I just thought that might be the first sign of a relay on its way out.