News:

www.W116.org - By the people, for the people!

Main Menu

turn signal switch

Started by Rob Smith, 20 May 2022, 12:30 PM

Rob Smith

I have an early 1973 450se and when I move the steering wheel the horn honks. I assume I need a new turn signal switch which I can't find. Any help would be appreciated.

Rob Smith

revilla

Hi,
You probably have one of the horn contacts that is touching ground activating therefore the honk. You need to remove the steering wheel cover. It's pressure mounted with 4 tabs (left right up and down). It's very tight. Apply even pull forces carefully on all 4 points until it disengages. Be careful not to break the tabs or the cover. That would be a bigger nightmare that your "phantom" horn. You will immediately see 2 cables. The positive might be touching ground when the wheel is turned (?). The solution depends on what you find after removing the cover. Pictures would help so we can support you identify a solution.

Rob Smith

I'll check that out and re post. Thank you

Rob Smith

I'm having another issue with my 1973 450se. When started cold, idle is really rough sounds like a few plugs not firing and #4 and #8 plugs sooty. The temp gauge is erratic and doesn't seem to move any.   Any help would be appreciated.

Rob Smith