News:

The ORG - No back-slapping boys club!

Main Menu

Turn signal relay

Started by 1980450sel, 15 March 2010, 12:53 PM

1980450sel

Hello All,

I was just wondering if anyone knew the location of the turn signal relay on a LHD 450 SEL?

Thanks,

Scott

Ultimation

Scott, if I remember from reading other posts, I believe the relay would be to the left of your gas and brake pedals near the firewall on the interior. Remove the panel just below the steering wheel to locate it.

And while we're on the subject... I have a relay for my 1979 300SD that appears to be in good shape, but my signals don't operate. Of course, the hazard lights come on and the bulbs are all good, but no left or right signals. The hazards do not flash, just come on, though. Any thoughts on that one?

koan

First thing to do when turn flashers don't flash is to operate the hazard switch a dozen (or more) times to clean the switch contacts.

Next check is to have a look to see if the outside turn signal lights are always on or not on at all when they should be on. If not on most likely cause is a fuse. if stuck on a dead flasher unit is probably the cause.

I'd say no flashing of the hazard lights is the definitely the flasher relay but do the multiple pushing of the hazard switch just in case. 

A single burnt out lamp results in rapid flashing, 75% of the electronics in the flasher is to emulate what the old two and three pin thermal flasher relays did with a burnt out lamp :)

Have a look in the gallery (Garage->koan's-bits->Bosch Flasher Fix) for my alternative to, and reason for not buying new Bosch flashers.

koan
Boogity, Boogity, Boogity, Amen!

Ultimation

Yes, thank you for the info. I've done the hazard trick (in fact I use that instead of a turn signal to warn cars sometimes) with no success. I did find out one of my bulbs is out, but the other three are not. The hazard lights do light up, but do not flash.

Now my question would be, I have taken the relay off already to inspect it, and it looks like it is in good condition. Are the looks deceiving me? If so I'd just try your replacement and see if it works, or maybe borrow someone's that is functioning to see if that corrects the problem so I don't spend the money on it if it won't do me any good.

Also, unrelated. Could someone tell me where the other end of my speedometer cable is? I found (shortly after I bought the vehicle) that the cable was disconnected from the gauge, and I reconnected it. However, on the other end, I don't know if it is connected or not. Of course, if it is then I may have a broken cable, but there's no way to know if I don't check it. I've searched the forums and haven't found a description of how to find it for my model (1979 300SD, 116.120), so if you have one and know where to go, please let me know! Thanks in advance.

WGB

The lower end of the speedo cable is connected to the rear of the gearbox on teh driver's side on an LHD.

The looks of a flasher unit bear no resemblence to it's function - I am sure you will need to replace your flasher unit.

Bill