News:

www.W116.org - All about the Car!

Main Menu

turbo sel 280

Started by albe, 10 June 2012, 01:52 AM

albe

Well the bank had said yes to some money so I am going to turbo the m110 .
I have found a place in Melbourne((big boys toys) that doe's the exhaust manifold and have found a front mount inter-cooler  on eBay that will fit under the front bumper with little modification .I will be using a t3 Garrett turbo that is used on the Rb2.5 Nissan motor and run small boost till I get the right tune to boost combination but no more then 10pound .
I hope to run this set up with no change to the motor or k jet except tuning. All the pipe work will be from eBay out of Sydney were I got it for my last turbo job(Nissan Patrol).
What I would like to know is were I can  feed oil from the motor to the turbo and back to the motor . If you can help me on this or have any idea's on making this job as easy and pain free please let  me know your thoughts .
And I know  the easy way to keep it pain free is to not turbo it, but this should make for a great project and will be something different . As I can always put it back to stock .
Will try to keep posting as I go .
Albe  ;D

Big_Richard

Tony66_au

Tru DAT!

I have to admit im tempted to add a supercharger to my 280S as I think the M110 would go very hard with forced induction.

1980sdga

Not intercooled but still  8)

Keep us posted!  I've been thinking about doing a bigger turbo and IC'd 617.

s class

That's neat.  Forced induction installations on M110's usually result in loss of the aircon compressor due to space constraints. 

[color=blue]'76 6.9 Euro[/color], [color=red]'78 6.9 AMG[/color], '80 280SE, [color=brown]'74 350SE[/color], [color=black]'82 500SEL euro full hydro, '83 500SEL euro full hydro [/color], '81 500SL

albe

Well still looking in to it all ,Have to spend $900 plus for manifold to be made then work out what power the tranny can handle if anyone knows this let me know .Have be thinking going gas carby and lose all the k jet and run gas carby pre turbo . But then I found a 5.6 sel for sale and that got me going down another road but don't know how hard or if the motor and tranny would fit .Car is cheap too, its a parts car and all there for half  the price of my manifold .WHAT TO DO I AM IN TWO WORLDS V8 OR TURBO .Need feed back on weak points on how the m110 will handle boost and how hard is it to swap in a 5.6 m117 I think ? Let me know your thought's people as I am open to any feed back on the drive trains and idea's.

Big_Richard

TJ 450

I have heard that the M110 has a few limitations that make forced induction less attractive, but I would get an engineer's opinion and possibly talk to John Green at MB spares or other people in the know first. In the worst case you could run a low pressure setup and that may provide sufficient power to satisfy your needs. For higher boost you would need to consider lowering the CR, but that has its own issues.

Look at Volvo's turbo I6 as a reference I'd say... I'm fairly certain I've said that before. There's no need to try and reinvent the wheel. 8)

I do concur that an M110 with more power would be very nice indeed.

The AC compressor will be in the way as said before.

Tim
1976 450SEL 6.9 1432
1969 300SEL 6.3 1394
2003 ML500

TJ 450

The V8 conversion would be a more straight forward job I would say, but less unique as well. 8)

The basic K-Jet swap is easy on the later engines as it is just bolt-on, get the bits from an early 500 engine, and you can use the aux air valve off your M110. All you need then is some extra air hoses for the Aux air valve, gaskets and other misc hardware.

If going down the conversion path, watch out for boat anchors... I've been there, so be very skeptical when it comes to the condition of those alloy blocks. Granted they are very long lived when looked after properly, but when not things can get ugly.

Tim
1976 450SEL 6.9 1432
1969 300SEL 6.3 1394
2003 ML500

Tony66_au

I believe the issue with the 6.9 is more one of breathlessness.

Looking at doco early on in my 116 years I got the sneaky suspicion that the M100 6.9 air intake was the same size as that on the 4.5 M117 which would cramp your style a tad.

IF and thats a huge IF I were to look at performance mods id go down the route travelled by Geoff (Motec) with the addition of a custom intake system from GM's parts bin to flow 750 to 1000 CFM but as always matching AFM and fuel delivery in a seamless intelligent package would be the kicker.

A family friend got his Dads old W109 300SEL 6.3 years ago and ended up with a custom carby manifold that went quite well with 2 750 CFM 4bbl carbs but I always felt it would have gone far harder with injection although giving it more intake made a huge difference to the response it lost torque which was what I felt the 6.3 was all about.

Love or hate General Motors their parts bin has always held some interesting and underrated stuff and 2nd had from the US it is very cheap with plenty of parts available too.

Just a suggestion!

Tony

TJ 450

Well, the throttle body that the 6.9 has is part of the package that equates to tremendous torque at low rpm, along with the long intake runners. It is just one very good compromise. 8)

The 6.9's power curve is also very even right out to the red line, which is quite remarkable.

But yes, this is the M110 I6 we're talking about.  8)

Tim
1976 450SEL 6.9 1432
1969 300SEL 6.3 1394
2003 ML500

albe

Well the turbo six is out and I am going with the 5.6 ltr m117 . Have to get it rebuilt and would like to go efi,and coil pack's but have been looking at a lot of write ups and my head is starting to hurt .Is there anyone in Brisbane Australia that has done this or knows a shop that could help me .From what I can tell this is what I need .
* Fuel rail's
* Injector's
* Thortel body
* Air flow sensor
* Crank sensor
* Coil packs
*brains to run them (ecu)?????
*Some brain's to get my mind around this lol lol
And I am sure there is more so if you can point me in the right way that would be great thanks guys

albe

Well turn's out that it's hard to find a good 5.6 m117 motor and get good horse power with out spending big dollar's .So here is the back up plan part A Have found a good LS1 with auto and all the bits to go with it .Should have it Friday this week and will be swapping it in the merc as soon as I can .(this should be fun) .Let me hear your thought's if you have any .Albe

Big_Richard

TJ 450

This will be a lot of work, I'm sure you'll get it to fit OK, but the hardest part will be the custom electrics and fabrication.

Anything can be done though. 8)

The M117 would be much easier, but yes it's hard to find a good one these days.

Tim
1976 450SEL 6.9 1432
1969 300SEL 6.3 1394
2003 ML500