News:

The ORG - 100% FREE advice!

Main Menu

Troubleshooting front suspension noise

Started by Rolo, 16 April 2021, 12:11 PM

Rolo

We replaced and regreased every moving part in the front except the strut ball joints, sway bar bushings, and the lower A arm bushings.  Wow what a difference.  Steering is so precise and suspension takes a solid set under hard cornering.

One big disappointment is a groaning creak is still present.  It can be loud.  Sounds like it's the left firewall.  Most noticeable with very slight suspension movement or turning the wheels at rest or slow speed.  Can't hear anything on bigger movement.  My shop thinks it might be the sway bar bushings which are NLA and a bear to get to.  One other thing is that whenever the front is lifted up dropping the wheels, it's quiet for a while.

Any thoughts?

daantjie

Yup that be the sway bar bushings.   Fun times ahead  ;D
Daniel
1977 450 SEL 6.9 - Astralsilber

Rolo

Bushings are NLA.  Maybe some thick silicone grease or a bigger amplifier on the stereo.

BCDC

The cross yoke bushings can be a clunk noise issue as well. Tricky to get out and you need a good press as well. I took mine to a mechanic who does older cars and they happened to have a guy who knows these cars well. He was great and they got the new ones in no worries. I had to import them from the UK. Took a while to get to Tassie as you could imagine. Someone else on the forum mentioned the steering arm bushes can be neglected as well and can prove to make troubling noises! Good luck.

BC
1978 280SE Cream with blue interior. With SLS

daantjie

Quote from: Rolo on 16 April 2021, 07:19 PM
Bushings are NLA.  Maybe some thick silicone grease or a bigger amplifier on the stereo.

1163233085 is for sure NLA?
Daniel
1977 450 SEL 6.9 - Astralsilber

john erbe

Check around for these parts Mercedes claims are no longer available. Classic Center claimed that control arm bushings NLA. My mechanic, ex -Mercedes who opened up his own shop, found them easily.

Rolo

CC is going to start blocking my emails.  Everything I asked for is long long NLA.  We have to isolate the noise to those bushings.