News:

The ORG - 100% FREE advice!

Main Menu

Transmission Worries

Started by Zagato, 19 November 2008, 02:08 AM

pez

You should immediately change the fluid & filter, and continue to do so on a regular basis [every year is my schedule].  Also, given the probable lack of any fluid in the system currently, you should do it now and then again after a week of driving.

I can comment on the shops lack of desire to change out the transmission fluid/filter....they are afraid of what will happen and of the ignorant customer who says 'but it worked before you did it'.  This is a very real problem - I work in a shop and you would not believe what nonsense customers try to get away with.  There is some base of reality in the statement that 'the fluid could be holding it together' - basically, left unchanged, the fluid gets so abrasive that it allows the worn friction disks to create friction, allowing a tranny to work that otherwise might not with correctly clean fluid in it.  It doesn't take a rocket scientist to know that if it's that bad, the whole insides are a mess and it will fail very soon anyway.  But this is the reason why most all shops will not do fluid changes after a certain mileage point.  Not saying I agree with it, but this is the reasoning. And more than 1 shop has been bullied into replacing a tranny for a customer that was working and now isn't after a fluid/filter change.

Moral of the story - if you maintain it properly, it's a non-issue. Go get the fluid and filter changed. And you can also flush the system fairly effectively using the cooler lines, too, if you are afraid to drain the torque converter.

Zagato

Quote from: pez on 28 November 2008, 11:18 AM
And you can also flush the system fairly effectively using the cooler lines, too, if you are afraid to drain the torque converter.

Don't worry, I'll get the shop to do that. I'm sure that if I get them to replace the seals as well, all will be fine. I highly doubt my gearbox is as bad as the one in my dad's 80's mustang.

Necrosis

Yeah I have this exact same issue too im glad someone else has problem and I love how pictures getting posted up here is simplifys things like 100 fold