News:

The ORG - No shonky business!

Main Menu

Transmission Woes

Started by ZCarFan, 25 March 2016, 06:31 PM

ZCarFan

I finally got replaced enough fuel lines to make my 280SE reasonably fuel-tight and there is enough fresh fuel now so it runs well enough to test drive.  I decided to move the car to clean underneath and I get nothing.  No forward, no reverse.  It does come out of park at least.  It's actually overfilled with fluid so it's not due to low fluid.  The ATF is pink and smells like it should.

Any ideas of things I can check without pulling the transmission?  The selector is moving and it comes out of park so that has already been checked.  It has been immobile for nearly 3 years though I do recall it going into gear at one point during that inexcusably long time.

daantjie

Overfilling is almost worse than underfilling!

You need to ensure the fluid reads between the 2 marks on the dipstick with the engine fully warmed up, engine idling and in Park.  Take multiple readings.  I would drain off at least one pint and then make sure the engine is hot, then take your readings again.
Daniel
1977 450 SEL 6.9 - Astralsilber

ZCarFan

I'm a bit worried that the previous owner had overfilled it when it wouldn't move. 

I've yet to have an overfilled transmission fail to go in gear but just thought of a test that will tell me if the front pump is working and bleed of excess ATF.  I'll pull one of the cooler lines off the radiator and see if there is any flow.

If the pump's moving fluid what's next? 

daantjie

If fluid level is good and problem persists then time to drop the pan and "read the tea leaves ". Lots of sludge and metal flake means terminal trans unfortunately.
Daniel
1977 450 SEL 6.9 - Astralsilber

ZCarFan

And terminal trans = terminal W116 in this case.

Squiggle Dog

I'm rebuilding a transmission in a W126 350SDL and it's actually not too difficult if you have the time. I was able to find a full German gasket and seal set for $16 and an American friction material set for $60. So far no special tools have been needed except my improvised press consisting of a piece of PVC, a block of wood, and two C-clamps for taking apart the clutch packs. Your mileage may vary if you end up with burnt or damaged metal parts. When the transmission in my W116 goes out, I'll be rebuilding it myself. The crucial part is making sure no dirt or dog hair gets inside.
Stop paying for animal cruelty and slaughter. Go vegan! [url="https://challenge22.com/"]https://challenge22.com/[/url]

1967 W110 Universal Wagon, Euro, Turbo Diesel, Tail Fins, 4 Speed Manual Column Shift, A/C
1980 W116 300SD Turbo Diesel, DB479 Walnut Brown, Sunroof, Heated Seats, 350,000+

ZCarFan

Time spent on the transmission is time not spent on my 260Z and the Datsun is worth a lot more.  I've got too many projects to deal with and way too little time.