News:

The ORG - Truly Independent and Unbiased!

Main Menu

Transmission Valve Body Assembly

Started by TJ 450, 18 February 2009, 09:27 AM

TJ 450

The components have been cleaned in petroleum.

I lost one 5.5mm ball during disassembly. The moral of the story is... follow the service literature exactly, don't start dismantling the unit upside-down. You must invert the unit before undoing the last two opposing bolts. ;)
Fortunately, it's no drama as this is purely for informative purposes.

Disclaimers:
No 6.9 valve bodies were harmed in this experiment. This post is presenting what I experienced during my first valve body tear-down. If anyone wants do proceed with this job, I advise that the service literature should be used as the basis. This is a job that requires due care to be completed without problems.

These images are thumbnails. Click for 800x600 versions.

Oil Distribution Plate. Lube pressure valve, one way throttle valve B3 and one-way throttle valve releasing end B2 are seated. Two 5.5mm balls are placed in their countersunk seats.

Intermediate plate with gasket clamped onto oil distribution plate, valves are seated correctly.

Two 5.5mm balls are seated on Intermediate Plate.

"Check valve primary pump" inserted into bottom housing.

Bottom housing inverted and placed on intermediate plate on oil distribution plate. Check valve for primary pump's protruding stem was held by lateral force from my finger nail on top of bottom housing.

Piston brake shift, filler piece, shift valve releasing end B2 with spring and plastic pin placed. Five 5.5mm balls are placed in their seats.

Here's where the problems become apparent.
Ball, 7mm, of one-way throttle valve K1 and ball, 7mm of one-way throttle valve K2 placed in their respective locations in top housing. Filter with spring installed.
5.5mm ball, pressure relief valve modulating pressure with spring, missing ball, projected across room not to be found yet. Respective spring accidentally interchanged with shift valve releasing end B2, seen in the previous image.

Two locating bolts removed from underneath.
Metal plate placed on top housing, inverted with positive clamping pressure, placed on bottom housing. Two diagonally opposed bolts screwed into assembly. Entire unit inverted and remaining bolts installed.

Clearly, this valve body cannot be used with the missing 5.5mm ball and two mixed up springs at this stage. This is a post on what can go wrong... you don't want this to occur when cleaning out the valve body on your prized W116's transmission!

Tim
1976 450SEL 6.9 1432
1969 300SEL 6.3 1394
2003 ML500

koan

You should be able to get a replacement ball. My local bearing supplier has them, ask for loose balls - no joke.

koan
Boogity, Boogity, Boogity, Amen!

Big_Richard

i cant remember there being so many balls in the 6.9 valve body, though it was along time ago, perhaps my memory is hazey.

I sort of remember 2 plastic valves and 3 balls, either way it was easy enough to work out where they went.

TJ 450

Quote from: koan on 18 February 2009, 02:27 PM
You should be able to get a replacement ball. My local bearing supplier has them, ask for loose balls - no joke.

koan
I'll do just that, it's just a 5.5mm ball. This valve body will then be complete and can be stored as a spare for future use on my 450 after replacing the gasket.
The 722.003 shift valve housing has the same number of balls as this 722.002 (2nd version) unit. The 722.002 first revision has less 5.5mm balls.

Tim
1976 450SEL 6.9 1432
1969 300SEL 6.3 1394
2003 ML500