News:

The W116 Library - The definitive W116 resource!

Main Menu

Transmission pressures and other things

Started by Denis, 25 February 2006, 03:06 PM

Denis

Hi fellows

I was sorting out my car tools today and came upon a box with three accurate pressure gauges : 2.5, 4 and 16 bars.

I want to get rid of one of them. Don't ask me why (hint: madame says the storage area is full of "technical" things). I  once used the gauges on my (ex) 6.3 and they have collected dust for two years. The 16 bar gauge seems excessive but it uses a line that terminates with a small banjo connector.

Question : can such a gauge/connector be of use on auto transmissions on 3.5 (and 4.5 l) engines ? the bolt head is 12mm and the thread is 8 mm.

Also,  ;D I am happy to report that my 350Se refuses to start ! of what fun  :D

This car had NEVER done this to me in 4 years of ownership, it wants attention, patting and dog biscuits for sure ( ;) to Michaeld). If I unearth a mystery, I will contact this great list ! but for now, I am taking this occasion to replace all those D-jet rubber lines...any tips on injector cleanouts ?... OK getting ahead of myself...

Enjoy the W116

Denis

Paris, France

"le" city of "le" "big traffic jam"

oscar

Hey Dennis

Just tagging along especially to hear what you diagnose the problem is re: wont start.  With regards to the fuel system, last week I replaced the left hand side lines to the injectors and two smaller hoses between the fuel rail and other bits that I can't remember their names.  I just cut 6.5 mm injector hose and used the existing hose clamps.

The existing clamps were simply two screw clamps however on the right side there's one hose clamp up top and a brass coloured thing as shown bottom right of the picture below.

I'm assuming this is the original setup but for the moment that fuel smell has gone so I'll leave well enough alone.  With the amount of air in the system I risked not asking advice of the forum because I was in a hurry.  I gave the key a turn and it started after a slight cough and then purred.  Please let us know if I've gone about this the wrong way. 

I would recommend cutting the old hoses off the injectors. Firstly cut the top of the hose and tear it apart with pliers.  In other words, I found it impossible to pull the hoses off without cutting and be carefull not to contact the metal inlet of the injector with the cutting implement to avoid scratching it and causing possible leaks in the future.  When I get to some other hoses that will be replaced in the future, I'll pull the injectors as well and get them ultrasonically cleaned.  New seals will also be a must.

edit: made picture a thumbnail
1973 350SE, my first & fave

John Hubertz

Denis,

My vote is fuel pump......these cars usually fail SO soft.  It is rare for a no-start if the battery isn't dead.

John
John Hubertz
"When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro."
(Hunter S. Thompson) 

1977 450SEL (Max Headroom)
[img width=68 height=73][url="http://i48.photobucket.com/albums/f248/fullhappyfish/max.jpg"]http://i48.photobucket.com/albums/f248/fullhappyfish/max.jpg[/url][/img]

michaeld

Denis,
Thanks for tossing me that "bone" in your post ( ;)  right back atcha!)!
I am so sorry that your car is "refusing you your conjugal perogatives" in failing to start for you.  I'm afraid I can't contribute any more useful of a guess than John (I'd be thinking first about the fuel pump also, but both you and John are much more knowledgable than I).  But if you continue to have problems after your current attempt, describe the symptoms for us as best you can so  we can possibly be more helpful in diagnosing the problem.  If it were battery/starter/alternator I'm sure you wouldn't be playing with the injectors.  So it's probably the fuel delivery system.  Is it almost turning over, or not even close?  Do you think you're getting any ignition at all?  Do you smell gas?
More than a few times I've "googled" the symptoms of a problem and come across a good answer after a fairly short search.  Engines are engines, and a lot of people are sharing their experiences with the world.  My prayers that you get to the root of the problem quickly, and that it's just a minor issue.

Quote: "Whenever a w116 is in pain, all w116's - wherever they are, whatever they're doing - telepathically begin to howl in unison."

Denis

OK guys, I cannot do anything to it before Saturday - between eating and wining sessions, us french actually WORK !

Here is the reality :
-cranks very well
- ignition strong
-no, absolutely no explosion at all as in no fuel at all
-the fuel pump does pumps fuel at the engine fuel loop connection

On Saturday, first test is switch ignition on and look at fuel pressure.

On the "bad Denis" side, I must admit that i haven't replaced the fuel filter in a long time. But would that keep it from starting ? the fuel level is quite low but there is at least 10 liter in the tank, I am certain.

So stay tuned for our weekly program on the 350 that wouldn't...

Now that should keep you W116 geeks awake a few nights of this week.

(What a bunch we have here, you ask a simple question about a pressure gauge and all they hear is that the V-8 will not start  ::))

Tchuss

Denis

Paris, France

michaeld

Monsieur Denis,
In honor of it being just in time for the weekend, I have a link for you to visit: http://www.benzworld.org/forums/forums/thread-view.asp?tid=1223523&posts=15&fid=60 which hopefully could be of some help to you in your fighting the good fight of correcting the cosmic imbalance of a non-starting 116.
Here is to hoping that you will be wining in victory this weekend - and NOT whining in despair!!!

Quote: "Most of my attempts at automotive repair has at some point resulted in my curling up into the fetal position and sobbing hysterically."

Denis

Thank you michaeld !

No time today, french social life (eating, drinlking and joking loudly) cancelled the car problem issue.

But do not worry my friends as most car problems have to do with the nut that attaches the steering wheel to the seat  ;D

Bon weekend  8)

Denis

Paris, France

michaeld

Denis,
You are most certainly welcome!  I hope there is some useful info for you on that post.

Yes, I agree with you on that "nut" remark.  In my own particular case - just to be crass and obnoxius - there are TWO nuts grounding the stearing wheel-seat connection!!!