News:

The ORG - No back-slapping boys club!

Main Menu

Transmission niggles

Started by gf, 12 October 2018, 05:24 PM

gf

Hey everyone! My 280se has recently encountered a problem
After sitting in the garage for a few weeks I attempted reversing  it out against a slight incline. There was a shuddering of the car but it did not reverse. So I put it in drive. Went foward then got a little run up in reverse before I hit the incline and the car was fine.
This has happened on two occasions recently when the car sat for weeks. Transmission fluid level is normal and fluids seem clean.
What things could cause this? I better get on to it soon in case it gets worse

TJ 450

I had that happen once with my old 450, although it was a fairly serious incline.

I would start by changing the fluid and filter, and see what is in the bottom of the pan.

Following that, depending on what sort of use the car has had I would give it some exercise in reverse and see if the issue goes away, or if it gets worse.

Sometimes these transmissions do some strange things and they're not getting any younger.

Tim
1976 450SEL 6.9 1432
1969 300SEL 6.3 1394
2003 ML500

daantjie

Not sure if this is a real thing but my trans shifts much better with a Mann filter as opposed to Meyle.
Daniel
1977 450 SEL 6.9 - Astralsilber

Greg

My 1977 280SE does the same, when its been sitting for two weeks or more there is actually no drive force in R or in D for the first 20-30 seconds after engine start. I did read somewhere that this can happen when the car is not driven for extended periods, what happens is that the fluid drains out the torque converter, and it takes some time to fill again.

So I wouldn't worry about it as long as drive force is restored after idling for no longer than about a minute  ...............  but changing oil and filter is always a good idea.
W108 280SE  (1970)
W108 280SE  (1971)
W116 280SE  (1977)

gf

Thanks TJ. Greg I was suspecting something of the sort. So I wonder if feeding through the gears a few times before taking off if the car has sat may be beneficial for transmission health.
Interesting observation on the Mann filter Daantje.

Ill keep an eye on it regardless and hopefully it's just because it's sat idle

gf

I asked a mechanic friend and he said it is typical with these cars. Apparently land rovers will do that even after a day. No damage will be done so long as it's not revved hard at first.

s class

Yes, a leaking internal seal, allows the fluid to drain out of the torque converter.  The delay in regaining functionality is while the fluid is pumped back into the torque converter. 

You may have an additional problem - shuddering in reverse is usually caused by the setscrew that determines the clearance of the reverse band having worked loose and backed out.  Good news is that it is possible (and fairly simple) to re-adjust it working from under the car, without removing the transmission.

[color=blue]'76 6.9 Euro[/color], [color=red]'78 6.9 AMG[/color], '80 280SE, [color=brown]'74 350SE[/color], [color=black]'82 500SEL euro full hydro, '83 500SEL euro full hydro [/color], '81 500SL

daantjie

Quote from: gf on 29 October 2018, 05:16 AM
I asked a mechanic friend and he said it is typical with these cars. Apparently land rovers will do that even after a day. No damage will be done so long as it's not revved hard at first.

Please tell me you did not just mention our beloved Benz and Land Rover in the same breath :o  They (land Rovers) are up there with Alfa's in my book for POS unreliable...
Daniel
1977 450 SEL 6.9 - Astralsilber

gf

Thanks s class, I'll look into that one.
Daantjie, Discoveries don't have transmissions they have automatic cash injected time bombs. Only met one person that planned to take their discovery off road but just like the rest it's transmission failed before he made it interstate. So he got another one. His friend told him he was an idiot.

gf

Thanks s class, I'll look into that one.
Daantjie, Discoveries don't have transmissions they have automatic cash injected time bombs. Only met one person that planned to take their discovery off road but just like the rest it's transmission failed before he made it interstate. So he got another one. His friend told him he was an idiot.