News:

www.W116.org - The #1 resource for our W116! Established 2004

Main Menu

Tow Bar

Started by AMG69, 23 April 2007, 11:02 PM

AMG69

I fitted a tow bar to my 6.9 yesterday - so now I can tow a fuel tanker behind me and avoid regular fill ups... :D

Seriously though, for West Aussies, $150 from the Star Shop; their 280SE Loan Car is no "towbar less"  ::)

sigh....sitting back contemplating the next purchase..!

WGB

Does this mean I don't have to spend $3,500 at Diesels to get a towbar  and a new Canbus fitted to my ML500  because the standard Mercedes Canbus with the off road pro-pack hasn't enough capacity to run a trailer.

Reminds me of when I fitted a a towbar to my 1987 126 300SE at midland Towbars - it cost the same $150 but they wouldn't wire up the harness because it was incompatible with the Bulb Failure monitoring circuit. It cost another $395 to get the plug wired up at Diesels.

Nice to know there are still some bargains like your towbar left in this world.

If I sell my wife's ML 270 CDI (with towbar) I will get one fitted to the Falcon - my 450 SEL is still a virgin and I will keep it that way. ;D

Bill

Des

Is it a good towbar? factory tow bar or one from someone else?

Someone mentioned here a long time ago that mine is maybe a Hayman Reese tow bar, which from what I am lead to believe make good tow bars. Important thing with tow bars is that they distribute the load to the chassis rather than just on the end of the car.

oscar

I noticed a while back that while these original units are rarely seen, the netherlands site photos shows most cars with towbars have the MB one, though you'll have to go search their pics for a while to notice them.

www.w116.nl

First one is from the dutch site, second pic is styria's, third image is Nathan's perth 6.9 meet.  3 of the 6.9's have towbars, all llook like the hayman reese type with little differences.    Mine's like yours Des except without the tounge that bends down.  I have 2 curved sections of rod welded on for chain attachment instead.

1973 350SE, my first & fave

CraigS

This is the factory one on mine, as verified by the data sheet. This was a DM 531.10 option.

[url="http://s109.photobucket.com/albums/n77/Aegeanfoods/My%20Cars/"]http://s109.photobucket.com/albums/n77/Aegeanfoods/My%20Cars/[/url]

nathan

a non aussie once raised the point that we are a strange bunch and only in oz do we seem to fit towbars to our 116s!!
my dad who started my benz affiliation, puts tow bars on everything (the 123 230e escaped for some reason)...although unattractive, i left mine on the silver 6.9 for rear bumper protection...
do many of the US guys see them with towbars?  i cant imagine the UK residents would see too many?
1979 116 6.9 #6436
2018 213 e63
2011 212 e63
2011 463 g55
2007 211 e500 wagen
1995 124 e320 cabriolet
1983 460 300gd
1981 123 280te

AMG69

Des, mine is same as Nathan's - Hayman Reece; they have stopped making them now I heard; they were $450 a few years ago,
sigh....sitting back contemplating the next purchase..!

CraigS

You can buy this towbar for $1200 and get the rest of the car for nothing !

http://carpoint.com.au/used-car/MERCEDES/450SEL/Victoria/csn1116817.aspx
[url="http://s109.photobucket.com/albums/n77/Aegeanfoods/My%20Cars/"]http://s109.photobucket.com/albums/n77/Aegeanfoods/My%20Cars/[/url]

oscar

Here's a few shots of "soon to be PatB's" new towbar.  It's different to others I've seen and attached differently and I got no idea what brand.  EDIT- Ishould say different to other Hayman Reece towbars.  Anyway, for the records -

1. has support bar below bodywork with two or three tabs hidden and bolted up behind the bodywork.  Two extensions run inder the body left and right of the support bar.
2. Left extension up under where exhaust would go
3. Right extension

Des

That actually looks like a better designed attachments under the car to mine,
mine just has a bit square plate about 3 feet wide by about 5 feet long from memory that fits under the car.

A setup like this one Oscar shows should, in theory put any stress out into the chassis,

koan

Well my tow bar mounting is pathetic by what I've seen here.  A couple of bits of steel about 50mm wide and about 8 or 9mm thick bolted in four places (total. not each) to the spare wheel well.  It looks like it should be stamped Dodgey Brothers Ltd.

It's coming off.

koan

Boogity, Boogity, Boogity, Amen!

oscar

Koan, the one on my 350 sounds similar, however -

it's also attached to a round bar behind the lower bumper about the same size and length as what the 280 pictured above has except it's hidden by the lower bumper.  Then it's attached thru the back by a few bolts, can't remember how many.  These pics are about a year old. 

Does yours resemble this at all or has it just got the flat bar straight down the middle?

koan

Quote from: oscar on 29 April 2007, 05:35 AM

it's also attached to a round bar behind the lower bumper about the same size and length as what the 280 pictured above has except it's hidden by the lower bumper.  Then it's attached thru the back by a few bolts, can't remember how many.  These pics are about a year old. 

Original description wrong. mine is exactly the same as you have, with single strap and round bar, except the bolted on bit carrying the ball is chrome.

koan

Boogity, Boogity, Boogity, Amen!

oscar

Here's a closer look at PatB's soon to be new tow bar.  As soon as I get some measurements, i'll post 'em.  I can't see why anyone couldn't get one made up or do it themselves if they trust their welding.

Right way up

Towball attachment

Long Extension to the left of spare wheel well

This Short Extension attaches to where the rear recovery/tow hook is.  Though it  looks like it's been ground off.  Coincidentally, I noticed the 280S without towbar already has two holes drilled in the same spot as if done at the factory

Different view, right way up.

Upside down

Upside down view - Long Extension attachment

Upside down view - Short Extension up top.  Top support is on the ground

Long Extension's bolts and plates

Top support's bolts.  Nuts are welded to the Top Support

Brian Crump

PB - you can eat off the floor of any of my cars, anytime you like. Just not the ML320 cos you'll get a mouthful of dog fur... :o
Regards,
BC