News:

The ORG - No back-slapping boys club!

Main Menu

Tips on replacing door rubbers please?

Started by BCDC, 31 October 2021, 04:07 PM

BCDC

Hi There, I'm about to get motivated to replace the door rubbers that have been sitting in the boot of the car for six months. Enough putting off this job. Do the brains trust here have any tips in doing this job properly? Any advice welcome, thank you.

BC
1978 280SE Cream with blue interior. With SLS

daantjie

Make sure you surgically clean the channels where the rubber will sit.  Also use this opportunity to check the bottoms of the doors for rust, and that the drain holes run clear.
Also I used some silicone grease to ease the rubber into the channels.  Don't use petroleum based grease like Vaseline on rubber parts.  I find a little dab of the right grease (I like Permatex Dialectric Grease) makes any rubber related install a lot easier.  Those would be my main tips.  I am sure others will chime in as well.
Daniel
1977 450 SEL 6.9 - Astralsilber

raueda1

I put the gaskets in a bucket and copiously spayed them with ArmorAll and smeared it all over them.  Then repeated a few times so it could saturate.  Everything slipped into place very easily.  I didn't try to use any glue and it still worked fine.  Seals are also nicely lubed and work well. Get new clips from ebay.  Cheap and available.

-Dave
Now:  1976 6.9 Euro, 2015 GL550
Before that:  1966 230S, 1964 220SE coupe, 1977 Carrera 3.0