News:

The W116 Library - The definitive W116 resource!

Main Menu

timing chain

Started by 450SEL69, 23 December 2007, 05:51 AM

450SEL69

does anyone here have any experience in fabricating up a custom timing chain system similar to the metal plates and cogs used on american V8's?

WGB

No.

For what reason?

Bill

Big_Richard

450SEL69

Quote from: WGB on 23 December 2007, 06:41 AM
No.

For what reason?

Bill

space under the bonnet, when I find a sump I would actually like to be able to use the bonnet for my car,

WGB

I still don't understand - ?are you trying to convert it to an OHV rather than an OHC engine?

Bill

450SEL69

Quote from: WGB on 23 December 2007, 03:42 PM
I still don't understand - ?are you trying to convert it to an OHV rather than an OHC engine?

Bill

With the turbo piping and the cooler setup there is about 2 inches of hardware sticking up above the line where the bonnet would normally shut.
I believe with a cheviot style setup I could relocate some of the tubing and fit the bonnet again.

WGB

I would have thought the extra height in the motor is caused by the Overhead Camshaft Configuration on top of a long stroke motor.

?Can you drop the motor mounts 2 inches without digging a hole in the tarmac.

Most USA V8's are still worked by pushrods from a camshaft fitted in the valley of the V not a camshaft on the top of each V like an M-B.

You would need to put in a non-M-B V8 to get that configuration eg Big Block Ford/Chevy/Hemi.

Bill

450SEL69

Dropping the engine mounts is something I hadn't thought about.

I have seen somewhere and it is driving me mad trying to work out where a picture of a 6.9 running twin turbos completely under the bonnet,