News:

www.W116.org - By the people, for the people!

Main Menu

Ticking sound...

Started by Balfour, 06 May 2019, 07:50 AM

Balfour

Noticed today that the car is making a ticking sound when under acceleration. It speeds up as the car picks up speed but if I lift off the accelerator, the ticking stops.

Does anyone on here have any ideas what it could be?

Have read a few posts on here but couldn't see anything conclusive... Luckily It's going in for a service tomorrow.

daantjie

This really could be anything, you would have to be more specific, or maybe link to a video if you can, but this can be tricky to capture the noise over other engine noise.

Just guessing here but it could be an exhaust leak, so the pulses you hear are timed to the exhaust valves opening up.  Or could be lifter tick, very common on these older Benzes.  But again could be myriad of other sources.  These are just top 2 on my list usually for go to engine ticks.

Try and get to the sound just by revving the motor with you at the engine bay, then try and pinpoint the location. A stethoscope can be very handy for this.
Daniel
1977 450 SEL 6.9 - Astralsilber

TJ 450

Yep, the first thing I would suspect is an exhaust leak up the front. Noisy lifters are normally heard at idle although clacking wobbly valves you will hear at higher rpms.

Tim
1976 450SEL 6.9 1432
1969 300SEL 6.3 1394
2003 ML500

jtwoods4

I agree... The first thing you want to check related to a ticking sound is an exhaust leak. A very small hole manifests as a ticking sound. I mean a really small hole. You'll have to get the car up on jack stands or ramps to be safer. put it in neutral and put the emergency brake on. Have a helper slowly press the accelerator pedal and rev the engine while you put your hand very close to the exhaust and slowly move it down both sides of the exhaust. If there's a small pinhole leak anywhere you will feel it.

Next thing would be to put a stethoscope up to the valve cover of the engine and see if it's coming from inside the valve cover.
1980 300SD

Balfour

You are all geniuses (geniui?).

Got it up on a ramp today and it appears to be coming from a manifold apparently. Will find out tomorrow if it's just a gasket or not.

It has also highlighted the knowledge of the guy I use as I didn't mention your replies before he told me the above.