News:

Please add your location to your profile. It will help others to help you!

Main Menu

Ticking Sound from instrument cluster

Started by jtwoods4, 22 April 2019, 12:33 PM

jtwoods4

Got another one for you guys. There's a ticking sound that comes from my 1980 300SD instrument cluster. it's not the clock it sounds like it's coming from the speedometer or tachometer. It's kind of annoying when I'm driving down the road. Ticking increases with speed. Any ideas how to resolve this?
1980 300SD

karmann_20v

Did you recently remove the odometer cable? I had a similar issue when I replaced the instrument cluster on the 79 450sel that I used to have. The cable was not properly inserted all the way into the mount on the odometer. Strangely enough the speed indicated was accurate when that was happening.

jtwoods4

Hmmm interesting I have not replaced the cable but maybe it has come a little loose. I guess I'm going to have to pull the instrument cluster out and check.
1980 300SD

Guru

I had the same sound. Mine was caused by the odometer (km/mile counter) sticking after I had removed the speedo cable. Simply diagnosed by checking that the odometer is not turning over, and simply fixed by pressing on the odo reset button a few times. Removal of the instrument cluster is not needed.
1975 450SEL 4.5 White

jtwoods4

Awesome I'll check that to thanks you guys it would be really great if I didn't have to pull the cluster.
1980 300SD