News:

The W116 Library - The definitive W116 resource!

Main Menu

Throttle linkage PSA

Started by daantjie, 02 December 2023, 03:57 PM

daantjie

Hi guys

Robert ("rumb") and I have been assisting a fellow 116'er over at Benzworld (not sure what they are doing over there as the W116 action is all over here 8) ) and I thought a good idea to cross post here as a Public Service Anouncement (PSA) of sorts, mainly for gas engine drivers with the control pressure rod to control shift points.

There was a Safety Recall way back on the bushing (was plastic), on the throttle plate where the control pressure rod spring clip connects.  Here is an old Benzworld post on this:

https://www.benzworld.org/threads/throttle-linkage-conponent-replacemet.1360359/

Here are some pics showing failure mode.  Please check your bushing here.  I'm not sure how many owners did the recall back in the day to the metal bushing.  This is potentially very dangerous if the disconnected rod jams your throttle open, you will at the very least need clean underwear...

Daniel
1977 450 SEL 6.9 - Astralsilber

raueda1

Nice catch, thanks.  Pretty scary.  I'll be checking ASAP.  Cheers,
-Dave
Now:  1976 6.9 Euro, 2015 GL550
Before that:  1966 230S, 1964 220SE coupe, 1977 Carrera 3.0

BCK1963

Thanks for that post, Daniel. I will check my car.

But it reminds me of something else about the rod to the transmission.
I have noticed that my car changes into the third gear at about 40 - 45 km/h when driving 'normal' to my standards. When accelerating from that speed by pressing the pedal notably it never went back into second, even with pedal to the floor.

Ok, kick-down switch may not work and the second floor mat may as well inhibit things. But from 45 km/h with a heavier foot I'd expect a downshift into second.

I checked WIS but it doesn't say much about how to adjust the gear change points (chpt. 27-110).
What is the forum members' experience in that matter?

Thx    Bernd

Bernd

1976 Merc 6.9   Magnetit blue

raueda1

Quote from: BCK1963 on 05 December 2023, 06:01 AMThanks for that post, Daniel. I will check my car.

But it reminds me of something else about the rod to the transmission.
I have noticed that my car changes into the third gear at about 40 - 45 km/h when driving 'normal' to my standards. When accelerating from that speed by pressing the pedal notably it never went back into second, even with pedal to the floor.

Ok, kick-down switch may not work and the second floor mat may as well inhibit things. But from 45 km/h with a heavier foot I'd expect a downshift into second.

I checked WIS but it doesn't say much about how to adjust the gear change points (chpt. 27-110).
What is the forum members' experience in that matter?

Thx    Bernd
THIS may help.  Cheers,
-Dave
Now:  1976 6.9 Euro, 2015 GL550
Before that:  1966 230S, 1964 220SE coupe, 1977 Carrera 3.0

daantjie

Indeed this adjustment is actually quite crucial and takes a lot of finesse.  The key is small adjustments, test drive, and repeat. 
Daniel
1977 450 SEL 6.9 - Astralsilber

ptashek

Thanks folks. Never knew about this one. Take this seriously and check :)
Speking as someone who was on the receiving end of a full-throttle lockup in a W116. Trust me, you don't want to be there when facing a concrete wall (luckily, quick reflexes and superb brakes saved the day). Remeber to clean and lubricate the throttle joints regularly.

From what I remember, safety related recalls have no explicit expiration date in the US and EU. If Daimler can still provide the part, you may be able to get this done at their cost. Could be worth a shot.

Also, what's interesting - I've replaced this bushing not long after buying my 450SE - and the supplied part was plastic still.  :o  :o  :o

1993 "Pearl Blue" W124 280TE
1988 "Arctic White" W124 200T
1979 "Icon Gold" W116 450SE