News:

The ORG - 100% FREE advice!

Main Menu

"the car won't start" says my wife.

Started by WrightSounds, 19 December 2012, 07:23 PM

WrightSounds

Gotta share this story with y'all:

My wife called me last night as she was leaving work. "The car won't start!" she says. She told me when she turns the key, nothing happens, like if the battery were dead. The engine isn't cranking at all. I ask her if the lights are working and she tells me yes. I ask her if they're dim and she replies, "I don't think so". So I tell her to go grab a ride home from a co-worker before they all leave.

By the time she gets home its, "that's it, we're selling this car. It's been nothing but trouble" (no, it really hasn't babe... a fuse blew and was replaced, I accidentally left a vacuum hose disconnected so it wouldn't shut off when you took it to the grocery store and the throttle linkage fell apart because of a bozo mechanic didn't put the lock washer back on the rod... nothing to blame on the car). By then I'd done some reading, thinking it's the starter not getting any juice, but I also see in the troubleshooting section of the Haynes book it mentions "make sure the car is fully engaged in PARK. I ask her, "any chance you left the car in DRIVE when you got to work? "NO".

A mechanic friend of mine gave me a ride to check out the car. Armed with a Volt meter and an array of tools, we pull up next to the car. I hop out and before I even have the door unlocked I can see that the Fµçking car is in DRIVE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I've never been so excited to call my wife  ;)

jmperkins

John Hubertz

You realize of course that this will register with her as a car fail anyway.  You might as well order the carcover now -

John Hubertz
"When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro."
(Hunter S. Thompson) 

1977 450SEL (Max Headroom)
[img width=68 height=73][url="http://i48.photobucket.com/albums/f248/fullhappyfish/max.jpg"]http://i48.photobucket.com/albums/f248/fullhappyfish/max.jpg[/url][/img]

WrightSounds

Quote from: John Hubertz on 19 December 2012, 07:43 PM
You realize of course that this will register with her as a car fail anyway.  You might as well order the carcover now -

Ha! She's probably prowling Craigslist for Honda's as I'm typing this.

JasonP

1979 300SD
Color: 623H "Light Ivory"
1979 300SD
Color: 861H "Silver Green Metallic"
1977 280 E
Color: 606G "Maple Yellow"
-------------------------------------------

Squiggle Dog

That is really something! Let's hope she sees the operator error and gives the car another chance. Like they say, when something doesn't work, start diagnosis with the simple things.
Stop paying for animal cruelty and slaughter. Go vegan! [url="https://challenge22.com/"]https://challenge22.com/[/url]

1967 W110 Universal Wagon, Euro, Turbo Diesel, Tail Fins, 4 Speed Manual Column Shift, A/C
1980 W116 300SD Turbo Diesel, DB479 Walnut Brown, Sunroof, Heated Seats, 350,000+

ZCarFan

Funny... same thing happened here at work.  A co-worker has a 420 SEL that he drives occasionally.  He asked for help one afternoon as the car would not start.  He also was complaining about the troubles he was having and the desire to get a "better car".  Sure enough, it was in drive.  Went through the diagnostics :
1. is the battery dead(check lights etc)
2. Check the ignition switch (radio, etc on and off with the key)
3. is it a high-amp load problem (do the lights dim when you turn the key to start).
4. do I hear a click when the key is turned?
5.  try moving shifter to neutral and back to park in order to see if the safety switch is being fussy - find lever in "D"  !!!

Took about 3 minutes from start to laughter.

People are funny about cars.  These machines provoke a lot of fear and anxiety in those who are not familiar with mechanical systems.  I've had a lot of debates with people regarding older cars.  Most of the arguments center around the "need" to get a new machine so it does not break down on them, not because it will, but because they are worried that it will (my assessment, not theirs!).   In Zen and the Art of Motorcycle Maintenance, Pirsig does a good job of describing this little dilemma, and sometimes you'll hear me joke about "beer can shims" any time someone follows that mindset.  That alone makes the book worth reading if you have not done so.

Tony66_au

Take her for a walk through a car parts/wrecking yard.

My Wife has been the victim of 3 serious no fault collisions in Non Euro cars and been very lucky to survive 2 of them as well as having been a CFA (Volunteer firefighter) Member and attended some nasty collisions.

She was dubious about my getting back into Mercedes when I bought our W124 wagon because it was smallish (She thought) until I showed her the 5th gear Episode where Vicky Butler-Henderson destruction tested the same wagon and even after running it over with a Monster truck it still started and moved under its own power.

Since then I have sought out footage of crash testing which is readily available via YouTube and she is very comfy in and driving these cars because she knows she stands a higher than average chance of surviving the idiots on the road, even the tipper and Dog pilots who drive like total f*%#wits up and down our local roads.

Run over a Honda in a 4 ton Monster truck and see what happens..........

Oh and the last time my Wife had a run in with an idiot it was an unlicensed driver who had stolen his brothers car to visit his girlfriend, been driving like a dick and got caught on the wrong side of the road by oncoming traffic and in an effort to get back in his lane clipped the right rear corner of my wifes car, at 90 or so Kph on a left hand sweeping bend with the whole maneuver being very close to a PITT police intercept action and yet she was solid on the road and the other car lost front bumper, headlight, blinker and other bits which made it easier to identify when the cops went around.

What did Jenna get?

Really really pissed off and scuff marks on the rear bumper and paintwork just above the bumper..........

Add to this the sheer number of SUV's and 4WD's out there today and youd have to be deluded to drive anything else.

Tony66_au

djenka018

PEBSAC problem

Problem
Exists
Between
Steeringwheel
And
Chair
Vitamin C for SL... the SLC

John Hubertz

I think these are all really cool, really fun first-world-problems.

Folks, I was born in 1959.  To live now, in a modern world where "gee my wife doesn't like her Mercedes" is a problem and "oh no my phone broke" is a huge issue is just fine by me. 

My family and I do celebrate  "Christian" Christmas, but I still prefer to call them holidays so everybody feels welcome.   This thread really helped me feel the Holiday spirit.

It's much like my problem (sudden whip cracking sound); My wife doesn't think a third car is necessary.  Cheeze, no wonder she was OK with me selling "her" car when I bought the Mercedes W202 as a wedding gift. 

If these are today's worries, we're the luckiest bunch of people in the world.

John Hubertz at Fort Wayne, Indiana, Dec 20, 2012
John Hubertz
"When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro."
(Hunter S. Thompson) 

1977 450SEL (Max Headroom)
[img width=68 height=73][url="http://i48.photobucket.com/albums/f248/fullhappyfish/max.jpg"]http://i48.photobucket.com/albums/f248/fullhappyfish/max.jpg[/url][/img]

oliveoyl

My wife did this once.

I didn't tell her how I 'fixed it' so quickly, she was so impressed there was no more questions.

Facepalm.jpg

JasonP

Quote from: John Hubertz on 20 December 2012, 06:49 AM
I think these are all really cool, really fun first-world-problems.

This is a meme called "First World Problems" -

I made it 'specially for yous.   ;D  ;)

1979 300SD
Color: 623H "Light Ivory"
1979 300SD
Color: 861H "Silver Green Metallic"
1977 280 E
Color: 606G "Maple Yellow"
-------------------------------------------

WrightSounds

Quote from: John Hubertz on 20 December 2012, 06:49 AM

If these are today's worries, we're the luckiest bunch of people in the world.

John Hubertz at Fort Wayne, Indiana, Dec 20, 2012

Exactly.

Quote from: JasonP on 20 December 2012, 07:14 AM

I made it 'specially for yous.   ;D  ;)

Love it!

Quote from: oliveoyl on 20 December 2012, 06:53 AM
My wife did this once.

I didn't tell her how I 'fixed it' so quickly, she was so impressed there was no more questions.

Facepalm.jpg

I did that with the dashboard lights. They went out after I attempted to adjust the brightness with the dimmer knob. After 10 minutes online and 10 minutes with the Haynes book, I told wifey I was going to "go fix the lights". I got in the car and rotated the dimmer switch back and forth until they came back on. 2 minutes later I'm back in the house... "I fixed the lights".

djred1966

I've had one where the shifter in between the seats needs to b moved from park to 1 and then back to park - sometimes the
neurtral safety switch sticks or its connections need cleaning or replace the switch in general. Neurtal safety switch and most electrical
components outlast most domestics makes. P.S. replacing the fuses with new ones avoids issues as well.