The Absurd Arrogance of Mercedes Benz UK re' Suppling Keys.

Started by kertbache, 18 March 2021, 03:56 PM

kertbache

For those who followed my previous post concerning the impossibility of obtaining keys from MB UK in a situation where the vehicle cannot be  removed and placed on a trailer because it's in an underground car park that has a height restriction. Whilst MB UK demand that all vehicles must to taken to a dealership before they will supply keys from the VIN, even if multiple forms of ID are produced. As opposed to the policy of MB in America where they will supply keys without the vehicle being present.

The final response from a Customer Assistance Manager [ Ben Mangare ] who was assigned to deal with my complaint which I directly addressed to the CEO of Mercedes Benz Retail UK [  Angela Shepherd ]

Dear Sir

I am sorry to hear of your ongoing disappointment with Mercedes-Benz.

Thank you for your comments and feedback, this has been noted for future consideration. However for now the process will need to be followed as stated our previous correspondence.

Unfortunately Mercedes-Benz UK are not in a position to comment on Mercedes-Benz USA theft relevant process.

I hope that this gives you reassurance that your concerns have been looked into, but following extensive communication regarding this, Mercedes-Benz Cars UK Ltd now consider this matter to be closed. We also do not believe that any further communication would prove fruitful, unless something material changes.

Kind regards

Ben Mangare
Customer Assistance Manager

Customer Support
smart and Mercedes-Benz Cars UK Limited
MK15 8BA
Customer Tel: 0345 120 6212
customer.serviceuk@daimler.com

ADV_rider

I know it's absurd. But you have options.

How about calling a locksmith and then place the car in neutral and pull it with another car.

Or replace the ignition barrel?

https://www.pelicanparts.com/More_Info/1164620279.htm?pn=116-462-02-79-M253
W108 1972 280SE 4.5
W116 1977 450SEL 4.5

rumb

How about contacting the USA classic center and asking them for a key?
'68 250S
'77 6.9 Euro
'91 300SE,
'98 SL500
'14 CLS550,
'16 AMG GTS
'21 E450 Cabrio

adamb

To be honest the locks aren't very strong and in the past I was able to start another W116 with a key from a different Mercedes. The main thing is to disable the steering lock so that you can turn the steering while the car is being pulled out of the car park. Opening either the driver or passenger door should be possible for most decent locksmiths. Where in London are you?

kertbache

Quote from: ADV_rider on 18 March 2021, 04:35 PM
I know it's absurd. But you have options.

How about calling a locksmith and then place the car in neutral and pull it with another car.

Or replace the ignition barrel?

https://www.pelicanparts.com/More_Info/1164620279.htm?pn=116-462-02-79-M253

I accessed the vehicle weeks ago by means of my own ingenuity, and I'm now preparing to remove it. But the lack of customer care, and the arrogance of MB UK is staggering, especially as they would not explain why the policy in America is different.

Max-NL

That's absurd. I ordered keys and ignition barrels for my W123 and C124 with only the registration certificate (I think you guys call it the V5C?). I installed them myself.
1971 R107 350 SL
1972 W108 280 SEL 3.5
1975 W116 280 S
1975 W116 450 SEL 6.9 #140
1977 W123 230
1992 W124 230 CE
2001 Ducati Monster S4

kertbache

Quote from: Max-NL on 18 March 2021, 04:58 PM
That's absurd. I ordered keys and ignition barrels for my W123 and C124 with only the registration certificate (I think you guys call it the V5C?). I installed them myself.

Thank you for that information.

floyd111

That letter would drive me up the walls as well. Who are these people that will answer an otherwise logical letter with such a shameful dismissal, without utter self-loathing?
But then again, I am the type to keep on expecting logic and fairness where there is really none should be expected, even though I am one of those corporate distributors.

What can be most deceiving -and disappointing- is the actual size of that army of customer service employees that work for these big corporations. -They are often not armies at all, but very small teams, sometimes with just 1 person in charge. If that person is a bit of a prick,lazy, and/or a stickler for policy, that may leave you with nowhere else to go, even though they actually employ 100.000 people.

Few years ago I got really annoyed by the responses I received from the MB Classic centers in USA and Germany, after having sent a list with a few dozen well-formed questions related to MB's (W116's) activities and policies of the 70's. I got no answers but was kindly told to check the old MB brochures for my answers. I was appalled by the lack of interest, left to conclude that MB Classic help is but for those with 300SL's.
It wasn't until recently that I gained some fresh insight, when I recommenced chatting with the Stuttgart museum/Classic center in relation to my little museum.
I spoke with others who contacted the Center as well, and found out that each time it's the same nice lady who apparently is in charge of every mail and customer to arrives at the Classic Center. She handles everyone with a historical Mercedes question.
Mathematically, that's 1 person to handle a potential pool of 3.5 billion people.
She only has limited time and very limited digital archive that she gets it straight from the DB classic home page. She also has a very tiny shelf with a handful official DB books that are available in the public domain. (she sent one for free)
That's it, as far as global historical MB support goes. And, it's the same for 300SL owners.

Anyone know what the recent key-situation would be in Germany-proper? is the UK following German rule? You have to bring your car with to get your keys?

ptashek

QuoteIs the UK following German rule? You have to bring your car with to get your keys?

This is official MB USA policy on the record, and Irish dealers, for example, follow this exact same process even though they hate classics just as much as UK dealers do. I very much doubt that what MB UK are pulling off is a Germany-sanctioned policy.

https://www.mbusa.com/vcm/MB/DigitalAssets/pdfmb/contact_us_lostkey_brochure.pdf
1993 "Pearl Blue" W124 280TE
1988 "Arctic White" W124 200T
1979 "Icon Gold" W116 450SE

Mattr

Quote from: ptashek on 24 March 2021, 03:07 AM
QuoteIs the UK following German rule? You have to bring your car with to get your keys?

This is official MB USA policy on the record, and Irish dealers, for example, follow this exact same process even though they hate classics just as much as UK dealers do. I very much doubt that what MB UK are pulling off is a Germany-sanctioned policy.

https://www.mbusa.com/vcm/MB/DigitalAssets/pdfmb/contact_us_lostkey_brochure.pdf
Interesting. I needed another key for a newer MB of mine, and I called the dealership, read them the vin, and they ordered it. I then went and got it. Never asked for any proof of ownership, or anything. Maybe since it's a 90's car, they no longer care?
1976 450SE 6.9 FrankenBenz (#2288?)
1977 450SEL 6.9 #2333

marku

Quote from: Mattr on 28 March 2021, 04:09 AM
Quote from: ptashek on 24 March 2021, 03:07 AM

Interesting. I needed another key for a newer MB of mine, and I called the dealership, read them the vin, and they ordered it. I then went and got it. Never asked for any proof of ownership, or anything. Maybe since it's a 90's car, they no longer care?

Not my experience in the UK. Ours was in the dealer for repair when they discovered that the key was responsible for the rather odd problems we had experienced. A new key was ordered but they would not let me have it without documentary proof of my identity and we were regular customers. Needless to say I got really angry. 
1974 450SE silver green/bamboo velour/green vinyl roof