News:

The W116 Library - The definitive W116 resource!

Main Menu

The 450SEL goes back together

Started by TJ 450, 11 May 2010, 10:42 AM

WGB

Wonderful pictorial - very dedicated work TJ.

How did you go checking the hydaulic lifter settings?

If you have any problems with valve train noise or you are not sure that the clearances may be too tight I am happy to lend you the go-nogo gauge before you give me back my valve spring compressor.

Bill

Big_Richard

is it article 05-213 in the service manual that talks of this procedure ?

WGB

That's the one.

You will need the go-nogo tool aka "Test gauge for hydraulic compensating elements 117 589 06 2300" - I have the Sirtools equivalent.

If the clearances are crap after cranking up oil pressure and testing each cylinder you will need a collection of old thrust pieces and preferably a micrometer to help in the selection.

Tight clearances are probably more important to fix than loose.

Bill

Big_Richard

Quote from: WGB on 15 May 2010, 09:07 PM
That's the one.

You will need the go-nogo tool aka "Test gauge for hydraulic compensating elements 117 589 06 2300" - I have the Sirtools equivalent.

If the clearances are crap after cranking up oil pressure and testing each cylinder you will need a collection of old thrust pieces and preferably a micrometer to help in the selection.

Tight clearances are probably more important to fix than loose.

Bill

have you done this on your 6.9 ? does it use the same tool and procedure ?

TJ 450

Thanks for the compliments, guys.

I've read through that article a few times now, and although the procedure appears time consuming, I'm sure it will save a few headaches in the end. I don't want any ruined camshafts or burned valves.

Seeing as the 6.9 uses the same lifters, thrust pieces, and lifters, I can only imagine that the procedure is the same.

Tim
1976 450SEL 6.9 1432
1969 300SEL 6.3 1394
2003 ML500

WGB

Quote from: Major Tom 6.9 on 15 May 2010, 10:01 PM

have you done this on your 6.9 ? does it use the same tool and procedure ?

No I haven't MT - the main reason apart from spare time is the fact that my valve lifter has been awol for some time - after increasing the investment today by dropping off the gauge and a micrometer to TJ I am hoping this will be sorted in the next week or two.

This is a lousy excuse as I still have my "KOAN approved design" double headed one.

The part number for the M100 gauge is different but as I only have a couple of (slightly ) noisy lifters in my 6.9 - which seem to be getting quieter the more it is driven - I was going to measure the lot and see how close to the m117 marking it came on the gauge. As the same lifters are used in both motors one assumes the initial height setting of any one lifter will be the same whether it is fitted to an M117 or M100 motor.

Bill

TJ 450

Indeed, thanks for the lend of the gauge, Bill.

Here's a final pic for the weekend. It's really starting to take shape now. Also, not visible in the pic is the exhaust, which is now fully fitted. For once, the front pipes and manifolds lined up perfectly and as such I won't be expecting any leaks.

During the week, I'll try and get it started to flush the cooling system and check the static clearances.

Tim

PS, MT 6.9; I won't forget the sprocket bolts. ;)
1976 450SEL 6.9 1432
1969 300SEL 6.3 1394
2003 ML500

Big_Richard

Quote from: TJ 450 on 16 May 2010, 12:19 PM

PS, MT 6.9; I won't forget the sprocket bolts. ;)

Also double check the alignment of the rhs cam shaft, I still have a feeling that its 1 tooth off perfection.. ?

seems like an enormous amount of progress has been made - look forward to hearing about how it runs...  8)

TJ 450

I'll definitely double check, but last time I looked it was in alignment.

Tim
1976 450SEL 6.9 1432
1969 300SEL 6.3 1394
2003 ML500

SELfor50

Looks bloody great Tim!  Coming together very very nicely.

I'm also keen to hear how it runs, and more importantly a video of your facial expressions when you drive it again for the first time....although you might need to sensor it for youtube.  ;D

flutes

Very impressive Tim.  How long do you think before it will be on the road again?
Matt
1977 450SEL

TJ 450

A YouTube video is definitely in order.

It will be on the road some time during the next fortnight, I would expect. I'll need to paint the brake booster and bleed the brakes beforehand. Once it is driveable, I'll be looking into the other repairs that need to be done, as well as some new tyres.

Flutes, I'll be getting some dynamat for use on the firewall and areas of the floor, so I'm looking at your findings with interest.

Tim
1976 450SEL 6.9 1432
1969 300SEL 6.3 1394
2003 ML500

carl888

What a wonderful sight Tim, well done.

Regards,

Carl.

TJ 450

Thanks Carl, though it's certainly no match for your impeccable 280SE. ;)

This evening, I was able to crank the engine and build up decent oil pressure to perform the basic adjustment for the lifters. I've completed the right hand bank, however one remains just on the negative side of the mark... with the thickest thrust piece installed. I will have to purchase a thicker thrust piece in this instance.

Anyhow, I'll move onto the other side and see how I go there.

I also purchased the Mercedes coolant today. It was a little over $20AUD for 1.5L of the concentrate, which I thought was quite reasonable. I purchased four of them, as I seem to recall the capacity being 12L or thereabouts?

Edit: I just did the other side. Two were in the positive zone, and with the available thrust pieces, I was able to get just into the negative zone. So, out of the 16 lifters, 10 are in the "correct zone" and 6 are just in the negative zone. I figure this is a decent achievment, as they could have been all over the place.

In the worst case, there may be a few noisy lifters, but I doubt it.

Tim

1976 450SEL 6.9 1432
1969 300SEL 6.3 1394
2003 ML500

Big_Richard

when do you think it'll be ready for a test start ? 8)