News:

www.W116.org - The #1 resource for our W116! Established 2004

Main Menu

Template for early W116 power window motor attachment screws

Started by Guru, 29 August 2018, 02:28 AM

Guru

The power window tracks and gears in my '75 450SEL needed lubrication so I had to disassemble the mechanism. This requires removal of the power window motor. Late model W116 (I think from 1976) have access holes so reaching the 3 screws that hold the motor on is easy. Early model cars don't. The template below shows in locations 1, 2 and 3 where you need to drill (I did 10 mm and then an auger to widen). Not millimetre accurate but I hit the screws dead on on all 4 doors. You will figure out what the points and lines align to when you hold it up to the door. Print at 100% and it will be correct size. Mirror (ie on onion paper) for the right doors.
1975 450SEL 4.5 White

marku

There seems to be some question as to which cars have no access requiring drilling the door. My early '74 450SE has the holes in the door. When I decided to work on the doors and remove the window motors I was not looking forward to to having to drill the doors but not necessary. The doors are original so which cars had the restricted access is a mystery. The Mercedes workshop manuals I have for the 116 give detailed instructions on drilling the door and they were published much later.
1974 450SE silver green/bamboo velour/green vinyl roof

Guru

1975 450SEL 4.5 White

marku

I have a set of Mercedes service manuals that were published in 1984 for the 116 by Mercedes-Benz North America. They have been invaluable although some of the information does not apply to Europe particularly the wiring diagrams. Had to get a German which was applicable to mine. Have never come across one in English for Europe or the UK but the ones I have are very useful. Three volumes Engine, Chassis and Body 1 (Electrics etc) and Chassis and Body 2 (Body panels etc). Why they have that publication date as production ceased 5 years previously.
1974 450SE silver green/bamboo velour/green vinyl roof

Guru

Thanks Marku. I'm German so will keep my eyes out for the original service manuals.
1975 450SEL 4.5 White