News:

www.W116.org - By the people, for the people!

Main Menu

tappet noise

Started by Pete49, 15 August 2018, 10:37 PM

TJ 450

Yes it is odd, retrofitting a D-Jet motor would be no easy task. Everything is completely different in terms of wiring, you'd need the whole harness back to the fuse box etc.

Tim
1976 450SEL 6.9 1432
1969 300SEL 6.3 1394
2003 ML500

Randys01

There's no way a D jet is going to be fitted to a K jet chassis. As Tim says, it's  a WW3 prospect.
If it was born with a D jet then be happy...they are more powerful than the later K jet.
It may have had a transplant but it would be D jet for D jet.......
Anyway, onward Christian soldiers...!!!....get the dodgey rocker sorted out and hopefully  the problem is solved. 

It is not uncommon for the older Merc ohc solid lifter motors to develop noisy oh valve clatter by virtue of the design.....the ball pin is static and the rocker jiggles around on it largely in one plane. Elongation of the socket in the rocker develops and adjustment becomes cranky. As soon as the ball pin is rotated chasing out valve clatter, the problem exacerbates because you now have faceted edges in contact rather than the large surface area the orig ball and socket enjoyed when new.

Pete49

Now you guys are getting me concerned. The Vin No and all other stamped numbers including the Vin No on the windows all match but now the doubts are there. I checked with a guy on Ozbenz forum that deciphers data card numbers. I list them here 320 from 01.03.1967 to 31.07.1980 ADDITIONAL PLATE AND REAR SEAT BENCH STOP FOR GREAT BRITAIN
511 from 01.01.1973 to 31.07.1981 BECKER RADIO CASSETTE STEREO MW/USW
531 from 01.01.1963 AUTOMATIC ANTENNA
580 from 01.04.1970 to 31.10.1982 BEHR AIR CONDITIONER
592 from 01.01.1972 " GREEN HEAT-INSULATING GLASS ALL ROUND, HEATED REAR WINDOW, LAMINATED SAFETY GLASS - TINTED STRIP"

The other odd thing is it has a MPH speedo not Kph but that could be for another reason as I'm sure the speedo's were in Kph in 1978. heres the Vin No if its any help: 11603322037912
What this country needs are more unemployed politicians.
Edward Langley,  Artist (1928-1995)

s class

The VIN is interpreted as follows :

116 : chassis type
033 : 450SEL variant
2 : RHD, german assembled (ie not CKD or SKD)
2 : auto transmission
037912 : sequence number, and that number is consistent with an earlier car ie Djet.

[color=blue]'76 6.9 Euro[/color], [color=red]'78 6.9 AMG[/color], '80 280SE, [color=brown]'74 350SE[/color], [color=black]'82 500SEL euro full hydro, '83 500SEL euro full hydro [/color], '81 500SL

Randys01

Pete
This sounds like a UK early D jet import. Can I suggest you are maybe looking at an Aust affixed  [circa  1978 data plate] which may have been required by a State authority at the time the car came in to Aus.

Aus delivered cars have the Aus VIN and compliance plate [pressed aluminium ]pop riveted to the firewall / bulkhead above the bonnet hinge pax side.
This plate -if affixed- will give you the build date/compliance date  eg  7/78 ...plus the VIN and all the ADR's the vehicle complies with.  One key code on this plate is 27A.
Take a photo of it and post it here if the IT Gods permit.

Pete49

well no affixed plate on the firewall only on the radiator cross member. Was registered before i got it but now unregistered so am starting to think early '70's makes sense.

Randys01

Fairly clear to me..she is pre 76 UK import....D jet.   All good.  Now you know what you bought! will make it lot easier when ordering parts/ technical info and general chit chat.etc.

Pete49

yep sure makes it easier. Is there away to work out the year for rego purposes? Other than that its all good and the body is in great shape with no rust. Probably fit a speedo set to kilometrics for peace of mind. Now working on the vac locking system while I wait for the other parts. I may have a speedo hidden away that cam out of a 116 280e sedan if it fits and calibrates to this car.
Pete

Randys01

The fact the speedo is in miles per hour is another give away to its heritage. ie UK.  Aus cars went to KPH circa 1974.
I wouldn't f..rt..ar.e around changing speedos across models.
If the car has any rego papers from any Aust state or bears any Aus no plate, just go with what that Registrar of Motor vehicles states is the year for the car. Don't start drawing the crabs.
you can spend any idle time exploring the year build by perhaps the data card.or someone will know from the VIn no.

Pete49

No rego papers but has SA number plates.I was able to check it was clear title but not sure if the SA rego mob give out any details. I got it from a guy who bought it from another guy so no idea who owned it while registered and  I've checked out the site for history with no luck.
Pete

Pete49

Anyway the new part rocked  up ( yeah pun) today and once I put it in and the rattle was gone and just a sweet V8 burble and smooth as silk.
Its got a little paint fade on boot and bonnet but the body is in great condition with no rust or other worries. Its silver blue colour with dark blue leather seats and dark blue carpet interior. My next jobs on this unit is the vacuum system and to put in an A/C compressor (Behr or Sandon) hopefully in time for summer and find a rear passenger side carpet as mine is missing.