News:

The Org - Serving W116 Enthusiasts since 2004!

Main Menu

Tach affecting trans shifting?

Started by The Warden, 29 October 2006, 06:04 AM

The Warden

Hello!

The tachometer on my 300SD works when it feels like it (read: very rarely). I'm pretty sure the tach amp needs to be replaced. However, I've noticed something strange. When the tach's working, my shift points change. When the tach's non-functional, the tranny shifts at about the RPM's I'd expect for an OM617, but when the tach is working, the shift points go up almost so high that I have to completely let off the throttle for the tranny to shift from 3rd into 4th when getting onto the freeway.

I thought these trannies were only manipulated mechanically and via vacuum (except for the kickdown switch). Is there another electrical connection somewhere?

Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated...thanks!

The Warden

Finally have a chance to reply...work's been insane... ::)

Quote from: Mr Balzac Testicov on 29 October 2006, 08:38 AMaccording to my parts database, the 300sd still uses a mechanical linkage to the transmission for throttle pressure, which determines the shift points. The vacuum modulator, which controls shift firmness, has alot of whizzbang attachments going to it - obviously because a diesel engine produces NO vacuum on its own.
Actually, on that note, does your database say anything about where the vacuum modulator is? I know that on the 123 and 126, they put it on top of the valve cover, but all that's up there on the 116 is the mechanical linkage (which I recently completely re-greased...the difference is night-and-day!!).

Quote from: Mr Balzac Testicov on 29 October 2006, 08:38 AMId be interested to know how the tach works on a diesel anyway! unless theres an actual home position sensor on the crankshaft or something. . . now ill have to do my research so i can sleep at night :P
I'm pretty sure that there's a crank position sensor. I've never looked at how the tach's set up on an M-B, but that's how Ford did it. I think Dodge did something similar with the first-generation Cummins diesel as well, and that's how all aftermarket diesel tachs I've seen handle it (except a few which use a sensor on the alternator to sense the field, but I personally don't trust those as much).

The simplest diesel tach setup I've seen is the one that Isspro has. You glue a magnet to the crank pulley, and put the sending unit on a supplied bracket in the immediate vicinity. The sending unit is activated by the magnet, counting how many times it goes around to get the RPM's.

There's also the old mechanical-drive tachs, seen mostly on truck and marine diesels...works sort of like a speedo...