News:

Please add your location to your profile. It will help others to help you!

Main Menu

Switching out speedo

Started by dizzyD, 12 October 2006, 09:06 AM

dizzyD

What would be involved with changing the speedo from the 85 MPH to something higher? Can I hope it is just a speedo cluster change only or is their more to change at the tranny too?

If you got another speedometer from a 116-chassis 300SD(or any Benz with the same rear axle ratio and mechanical speedo would work, I think), there wouldn't be anything else you would need.  The '78 and '79 SDs had higher speedos (120, I think).  The 85 was result of federal regs.  You might be able to get an adaptor to put a speedo from a car with a different rear axle ratio (i.e., 280SE or 450SEL), but I'm not totally sure about that.

Des

Mechanical speedometers like the ones fitted to our W116's can be recalibrated, find the one you want, ebay or your local wreckers and talk to your mechanic about where it can be calibrated.

koan

The needle can be made to point at the correct speed but I don't think the oddometer can be made to count the correct distance.

k.
Boogity, Boogity, Boogity, Amen!

dudu

I do agree.

I tested with different instrument cluster in my 450 ( mainly W116-280 and R107-280 ) , and was able to get the right speed reading , moving the needles ( tested at some specific speed ( lets say 100km/h ) driving behind my brother´s car...  ;)  ).
They were not showing the right one at a different speed than the "test" one.

Finally i repaired mine and now it is ok with no more "tricks".

Regards.