News:

The ORG - No back-slapping boys club!

Main Menu

Sunroof service.

Started by Flogrates, 10 October 2021, 02:11 AM

Flogrates

Hi all,

Finally started tackling my non functional sunroof.  (Having a meal break atm  :P )

In my fiddling to get the cable our ive noticed the motor is really really intermittent from the switch i.e it will engage one way 100% of the time and the other maybe 10% of the time.

Are the switches are non fail point? I haven't got the motor out for a look yet, I will after dinner but am doing some reading now to try and get a head start.

From what I can (not really understand) the switch changes the earth/power changing the polarity for the motor? Thefore if it works one way not the other it's switch?

ptashek

Quote from: Flogrates on 10 October 2021, 02:11 AM
From what I can (not really understand) the switch changes the earth/power changing the polarity for the motor? Thefore if it works one way not the other it's switch?

Switch, or one of the wires.
The switches are easy to take apart and clean.
1993 "Pearl Blue" W124 280TE
1988 "Arctic White" W124 200T
1979 "Icon Gold" W116 450SE

Flogrates

Quote from: ptashek on 10 October 2021, 02:35 PM
Quote from: Flogrates on 10 October 2021, 02:11 AM

Switch, or one of the wires.
The switches are easy to take apart and clean.
Urgh, getting sick of pulling the dash apart at this stage   >:(

I'll pull the switch apart and clean it tonight, hopefully that's all it is

Jan S

Agree with ptashek -- the switch on the dashboard is easy to disassemble and clean. But a bit more tricky to assemble.

Two small metal spheres are a bit tricky to position when putting it all together. I used some electric lube to "glue" the two spheres in the right position.

My sunroof moved only in one direction. After cleaning/sanding the contacts and lubing everything, the switch worked fine and the sunroof moved both ways. I also removed the sunroof, the cable, motor, etc. Cleaned and greased everything. Sunroof works great.

Not that difficult of a job but takes some time.   
1975-mod W116 450 SE with 6.9 engine