News:

The ORG - No back-slapping boys club!

Main Menu

Steering pump whing/droning

Started by raueda1, 02 March 2022, 10:17 AM

raueda1

Happens at very low speed, such as slowly turning the wheel in a driveway.  It's a faint but perceptible drone when wheel is actually being turned.  Seems more pronounced when the car is cold.  The car has done it for a long time but I ignored it while attending to more pressing matters.  Steering seems fine, no troubles there.  Just wondering if this is characteristic or something to take seriously.  Thanks and cheers,
-Dave
Now:  1976 6.9 Euro, 2015 GL550
Before that:  1966 230S, 1964 220SE coupe, 1977 Carrera 3.0

daantjie

Fluid level check is always first stop.
Daniel
1977 450 SEL 6.9 - Astralsilber

Jan S

raueda1, I have the same noise coming from the power steering. Especially when cold.

A full steering fluid flush made the steering better, but noise remained.

Last fall I had to replace the HP power steering hose (hose only), hose without the "orifice". Same noise - no more, no less.

"... at very low speed, such as slowly turning the wheel in a driveway" ... several things could be at play here and contribute to the noise:

- rpms are low (fact)
- fluid is cold (more noise when cold) (fact)
- force on the steering box is at its highest, i.e. pressure is at its highest? (hypothesis)

Would be interesting to hear the views/experiences of others.
1975-mod W116 450 SE with 6.9 engine

raueda1

Thanks gents,

Daniel - yeah, fluid is fine.  I'm pretty anal about my fluids.

Jan - There definitely seems to be a temperature effect.  I also replaced the HP hose a few years ago.  As I recall it was just the hose, fittings were all reusable.  But I can't remember if it made any difference. 

I agree with the force-on-steering-box idea.  Getting out the driveway requires an immediate, very slow turn on a very high friction concrete surface.  Sometimes there are tire scuffs on it!  My other cars did the same thing.  Very different from gravel, for example.

Other's experiences may indeed be illuminating.  I'm somewhat reassured that your car does the same thing. To be continued....     Cheers,
-Dave
Now:  1976 6.9 Euro, 2015 GL550
Before that:  1966 230S, 1964 220SE coupe, 1977 Carrera 3.0