News:

The ORG - Truly Independent and Unbiased!

Main Menu

steering pull/play

Started by chazchuzzlewitt, 16 October 2006, 04:55 AM

chazchuzzlewitt

my 280 has a pronounced pull to the left, even on roads with no adverse camber. There's a fair bit of play too, around an inch, though I'm guessing this is probably normal for these boxes. I've replaced the steering dampener since I got it and adjusted the steering box slightly (about 1/8th turn anti-clockwise) though at 77k on the box not sure if it should need any adjustment.

If I hold the steering wheel very lightly at around 20-40mph there's a back & forth vibration through the wheel (like someone puliing it one way then the other ever-so-slightly). There's no vibration at high speed (70-80mph).

I'm guessing this is an alignment issue? All suspension/steering components appear to be in good condition.

s class

Chaz,

This is a common problem with 70's benzes.  The side to side wobble could be due to out of balance/out of round tyres.  Try having them balanced at a shop that will allow you to see the wheels bing balanced - then you can observe any out of round problems (more common than people think, even with new tyres).  Also check the steering column coupling, where play frequently occurs.  You can see my pics here http://gallery.w116.org/v/garage/power_steering/?g2_enterAlbum=1 which may help.  You also need to check the steering idler arm bush.  Support the front of the car, and get an assistant to wrestle the passenger side front wheel while you observe the bushing for play.  You want to rock the wheel back and forth about a vertical axis.  While your at it, also rock it back and fortha about a horizontal axis to check for wheel bearing play. 

Next I would check the alignment.  Find a place that knows what they are doing.  adjusting the steering wheel on the column is NOT acceptable - see my pics again - its all about getting the steering box centred because it has a non-linear characteristic.  WHile the alignment is being done, make sure they measure the rear wheel angles as well.  You want to look at the rear thrust angle.  If its out my more than 0.1 degree from zero, you got problems.  They can be fixed - as I did - check here - http://forum.w116.org/index.php/topic,555.0.html

Good luck.

[color=blue]'76 6.9 Euro[/color], [color=red]'78 6.9 AMG[/color], '80 280SE, [color=brown]'74 350SE[/color], [color=black]'82 500SEL euro full hydro, '83 500SEL euro full hydro [/color], '81 500SL

koan

Quote from: s class on 16 October 2006, 06:12 AM

Find a place that knows what they are doing.  adjusting the steering wheel on the column is NOT acceptable

This has happened to me a few times over the years, spend a bit of time getting everthing centered, take it for an alignment, drive round the block then take it back saying the steering wheel is on an angle. You know what happens next.

But the 116 manual in the section on removing the steering wheel -

"7. During trial run, check position of steering wheel in straight ahead position of road wheels. If the steering wheel position when driving straight ahead is not in agreement with front wheels, check toe-in and correct, if required. If the steering wheel position requires additional correction, the steering wheel can be displaced in splining by max of 2 teeth to the left or right."

They must have been having an off day...

k
Boogity, Boogity, Boogity, Amen!

adamb

I would recommend you either get your front tyres either balanced to replaced. I apologise if this sounds obvious but having lots of thread on tyres is not a sign that they are fine, especially on a car with low mileage. My 6.9 had a really funny wobble at low speeds recently (especially around 20mph). I replaced the rear tyres which had plenty of tread but were quite old plus had a lot of abuse from a heavy right foot. The new Toyos are superb. No wobble anymore at any speed. Good experience both with Goodyear (front) and Toyo (rear) tyres. I recommed 205/70/14 for your bundts/steels wheels. Moving from 185 to 205 tyres made a huge difference on the 280SE I owned previously.

Regarding pull to the left: pay 30 quid to a good alignment shop which will check and, if necessary, realign for free within a month. Well worth it on W116. 1 inch play is typical for a car of this age. Look out for a recon box on eBay which comes up occasionally. A rebuild is expensive.

Incidentally, I've moved my 6.9 to a garage near Canada Water. I failed to find a garage closer to Snaresbrook. If you fancy meeting up for a pint, send me a Personal Message.

Cheers,
Adam

carl888

Quote from: chazchuzzlewitt on 16 October 2006, 04:55 AM
my 280 has a pronounced pull to the left, even on roads with no adverse camber. There's a fair bit of play too, around an inch, though I'm guessing this is probably normal for these boxes. I've replaced the steering dampener since I got it and adjusted the steering box slightly (about 1/8th turn anti-clockwise) though at 77k on the box not sure if it should need any adjustment.

If I hold the steering wheel very lightly at around 20-40mph there's a back & forth vibration through the wheel (like someone puliing it one way then the other ever-so-slightly). There's no vibration at high speed (70-80mph).

I'm guessing this is an alignment issue? All suspension/steering components appear to be in good condition.

Hi There,

I just had exactly the same issue with my W126 280 SE.  I was really annoyed because my car was one owner with 74,000 kms, no accidents blah, blah, blah.  There was an invoice for a steering box replacement under warranty though early in the cars life and this is what I did:

I put the car on some alignment ramps with the front wheels on the turntables.  I then pulled the locating pins from the turntables and started the car.  Sure enough, as soon as the car was started, the steering wheel turned about 1 cm to the left.

Under the car, I noticed the threads on the end of the tie rods were very assymetric, about 2cms of thread on the RHS and about 5mm on the right.  I then put the car on the alignment machine, set the caster to stock, toe to 2mm overall toe in and 30' of negative camber both sides.  I ensured that the same amount of thread was protruding from the tie rods on each side, just over a cm.  I ignored the position of the steering wheel at this stage.

Sure enough, with the tie rods centered, the pitman arm was one spline off on the steering box from being centered.  The complete idiot, a main dealer in South Melbourne I might add, who changed the box 22 years ago had not installed the pitman arm in the correct position.  So what he did to center the steering wheel was then take the steering wheel off the column and center it that way!!

The reason the car pulled to the left, is because at one spline out, the power steering valves in the box were just starting to open, and that's why when the car was started the wheels turned slightly to the left because the box thought it was going round a corner!

So, after cenetering the tie rods, the box, then I had to take the steering wheel off the spline and centering it that way.  Sure enough, the old girl goes in a very straight line now.

The play you feel in the steering wheel is a seperate issue.  Remove both front wheels and perform the following:

1. Check both front wheels from any sign of buckling or warpage.  If you have steel wheels, they are very prone to this.  Also check the tyres for any out of roundness or uneven wear.  Make sure you see this job performed in front of you.  Don't forget the pressures.

2. Check the wheel bearing play.

3. Check the caster rod bushes, the lower control arm bushes and upper control arm bushes for wear.

4. You must, must adjust the steering box, you'll need a 19mm spanner and a 6mm INHEX to do this.  The procedure is in the workshop manual.  Play in the box is not normal.  There was no play when it was new, and therefore there should be no play now.   

Please let us know how you get on.

Regards,

Carl.

benzlover

Perhaps your brake caliper is not releasing fully and the drag pulls the car to one side?

Mike in San Diego