News:

Please add your location to your profile. It will help others to help you!

Main Menu

Steering gear

Started by BCK1963, 01 December 2021, 10:56 PM

BCK1963

Hello,

I have been offered a NOS steering gear. The source is reliable,  the price is not hot (ca. 3500 €).
A couple of years ago I had mine revised by a specialized shop. The steering shaft was left untouched as, at a mileage of ca. 105000 km, it was said to have no considerable wear. At that time I was rather new to 6.9 problems and possible rip offs.
Back then the company didn't adjust the friction, and after I did it with the help and experience of an old MB guy I felt a notable difference to the previous state. In retrospective I don't know if a tightening may have been sufficient.

My questions now:
Do W116 all have the identical steering gear?  Does friction differ?
My source advertises the gear by saying that it is more or less impossible to revise a used steering gear to as good as new condition. Essential parts except sealing kits are NLA. What are your individual experiences?

Certainly everybody has his individual attitudes towards investing in his car but, with respect to the availability of these parts, would you consider it worth purchasing?

Thanks and regards     Bernd
Bernd

1976 Merc 6.9   Magnetit blue

daantjie

The issue is in my opinion if you are happy with the way it steers and feels now or not?  It is true that you can only adjust the box tighter to a certain point after which it will start binding on the outer ranges.
So if you are happy with it now spending a ton of money for a marginal improvement might not be wise.  But if the current box is sloppy and already at max adjustment then a new one will make a big difference yes.
To my knowledge the main shaft wears out after a while and those larger parts may be NLA.
Daniel
1977 450 SEL 6.9 - Astralsilber

rumb

C&m hydraulics will rebuild for $3-400. Even with shipping to euro way better.
'68 250S
'77 6.9 Euro
'91 300SE,
'98 SL500
'14 CLS550,
'16 AMG GTS
'21 E450 Cabrio

rumb

C&m hydraulics will rebuild for $3-400. Even with shipping to euro way better.
'68 250S
'77 6.9 Euro
'91 300SE,
'98 SL500
'14 CLS550,
'16 AMG GTS
'21 E450 Cabrio

daantjie

Just to add to the murkiness of steering feel (at least this is my feeling on it), is that one should by far not expect the 116 and especially the 6.9 to steer as crisp as a modern car.  I am sure you know this already so pardon me for maybe overexplaining this issue, and maybe this is just my opinion based on how my 6.9 handles.  The 6.9 has a beefier control piston in the steering box as well as the pump runs at higher pressure (90 bar vs 82 bar - you will see the higher rating stamped on the plate on the pump), I can only assume that this is to help because of the added weight on the front axle.
Also crucial is to ensure your car is well aligned, this can be the source of many a poor steering feel.  And to add to this, take note the 6.9 has specific alignment specs which are different to other models, you can find this in the service manual, there is a separate column for the 116.036 chassis.
Daniel
1977 450 SEL 6.9 - Astralsilber

TNNBENZ

Quote from: daantjie on 02 December 2021, 06:32 PM
Just to add to the murkiness of steering feel (at least this is my feeling on it), is that one should by far not expect the 116 and especially the 6.9 to steer as crisp as a modern car.  I am sure you know this already so pardon me for maybe overexplaining this issue, and maybe this is just my opinion based on how my 6.9 handles.  The 6.9 has a beefier control piston in the steering box as well as the pump runs at higher pressure (90 bar vs 82 bar - you will see the higher rating stamped on the plate on the pump), I can only assume that this is to help because of the added weight on the front axle.
Also crucial is to ensure your car is well aligned, this can be the source of many a poor steering feel.  And to add to this, take note the 6.9 has specific alignment specs which are different to other models, you can find this in the service manual, there is a separate column for the 116.036 chassis.
Sounds like this may be a good upgrade for a 4.5 steering.......
Neglected ~ Rescued ~ 1977 450SEL 4.5L  U.S.A. ver.
Project of Compassion ~ Respect
Silver Green Metallic / Toast
Left Hand Drive
Sliding Roof