Garage > Mechanicals

Steering damper orientation

<< < (2/2)

daantjie:

--- Quote from: tcj on 14 July 2021, 01:06 PM ---curious, workshop manual shows this:

--- End quote ---

I think is this the way it should be, the "fat" side connects to the frame.  Still wonder if this makes any difference though...

s class:
I've always mounted them as per that wsm photo with the rahmenseite arrow pointing to the frame. 

s class:
What's more interesting about tcj  s photo is that the bolt for the idler arm bush is installed from the bottom upwards which is contrary to the explicit instructions of the section of the wsm covering the idler arm.  Every original unmolested 107, 116, 126 I've ever seen has them installed from the top downwards.

daantjie:

--- Quote from: s class on 20 July 2021, 01:20 PM ---What's more interesting about tcj  s photo is that the bolt for the idler arm bush is installed from the bottom upwards which is contrary to the explicit instructions of the section of the wsm covering the idler arm.  Every original unmolested 107, 116, 126 I've ever seen has them installed from the top downwards.

--- End quote ---

I saw that too yes.  On the 6.9 if you replace the idler arm bushing then the starter is in the way so I think on most 6.9's the bolt is with the head at the bottom.  If you think about it this is a safety measure of last resort so the bolt does not drop out if the nut somehow works loose :o

ptashek:
Never spotted that one! But phew, checked mine and it's mounted the right way :)

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version