News:

www.W116.org - All about the Car!

Main Menu

Steering box removal

Started by yei06, 27 November 2014, 02:28 PM

yei06

I am in the process of removing the steering box on my '76 350SE. Unfortunately, I cannot separate the box from the steering column because I rounded the hex bolts on either side of the rubber plate thingy. Is there any way of freeing the steering box (besides from cutting the rubber plate to shreds and then ripping the box from the column, which would be quite hard to do since the rubber plate seems quite sturdy).

Thanks!

marku

I assume that its the same as the 450. Surprised you say that you rounded off the hex bolt there is not a lot to it and they come off easily (recently had the one off the 450). It should be fitted with set screws that have the socket for an Allen key. If its the set screw that you have rounded out you can use an oversize torx bit and hammer it in. That usually works but if they are hex bolts then a tight socket ie not a mm one often works. Once the bolts are out its easier to withdraw the steering column to allow the coupling to disengage as its hard to get it off the splines on the box. Its really heavy and even more difficult to re-fit.
1974 450SE silver green/bamboo velour/green vinyl roof

yei06

Quote from: marku on 30 November 2014, 02:31 PM
I assume that its the same as the 450. Surprised you say that you rounded off the hex bolt there is not a lot to it and they come off easily (recently had the one off the 450). It should be fitted with set screws that have the socket for an Allen key. If its the set screw that you have rounded out you can use an oversize torx bit and hammer it in. That usually works but if they are hex bolts then a tight socket ie not a mm one often works. Once the bolts are out its easier to withdraw the steering column to allow the coupling to disengage as its hard to get it off the splines on the box. Its really heavy and even more difficult to re-fit.

Thanks it worked!!!