News:

The Org - Serving W116 Enthusiasts since 2004!

Main Menu

Starting Problems -- Still happening

Started by EuroBenz, 01 July 2008, 05:04 PM

WGB

Most cars in Thailand are Right Hand Drive  - is yours RHD or LHD.

It will make a difference to some parts including your ignition switch I would think.

Bill

Paul Dellas

Hi to all,

What a great site, I am experiencing many of the same problems as listed in this discussion.

A friend has given me a 1979 280SEL that has a fuel pump problem. Initially the fuel pump was getting very hot and not running. I removed the fuel pump and found that it was seized. Replaced it with one that runs however now I have no voltage at the pump. Have checked fuses, all ok. My query is where is the fuel pump relay located. There is two metal can relays located in the fuse box. Is one of these relays the fueal pump relay? Also, is it possible to hard wire the fuel pump to battery to see if the car starts or will this cause any damage.

Paul   

Phuketguy

Quote from: WGB on 27 September 2008, 07:17 PM

It will make a difference to some parts including your ignition switch I would think.

Bill

Yes, you're right, all cars in Thailand are RHD. You think that makes a difference on something like an ignition switch? 

WGB

Quote from: Phuketguy on 28 September 2008, 12:03 AM
Quote from: WGB on 27 September 2008, 07:17 PM

Bill

Yes, you're right, all cars in Thailand are RHD. You think that makes a difference on something like an ignition switch? 

Not sure about the electrical part of the ignition switch - likely to be the same for both -  but I would check before buying anything.

Some of us here have a copy of the EPC (Electronic Parts Catalogue) and next time I am going through it I will look it up.

Either post your VIN or PM it to me and I can look up the correct number for it and whether it is "Handed" or not.

It also may be possible to remove your own switch, dismantle it and clean the contacts. Most Bosch switches are not designed to be serviceable but come apart with some gentle persuasion and care and are quite repairable.

Quote from: Paul Dellas on 27 September 2008, 07:25 PM
Initially the fuel pump was getting very hot and not running. I removed the fuel pump and found that it was seized. Replaced it with one that runs however now I have no voltage at the pump. Have checked fuses, all ok. My query is where is the fuel pump relay located. There is two metal can relays located in the fuse box. Is one of these relays the fueal pump relay? Also, is it possible to hard wire the fuel pump to battery to see if the car starts or will this cause any damage.

Paul  

Sounds like you have either burnt out your relay or more likely blown the fuse. Have you checked the fuse?

I do not know what country version your car is but assume it is Euro/UK/Aus in which case there are two relays in the fuse box. US Models have three.

It should be numbered on the harness as No 1 but it may not be easy to see and you may need to detach the socket from the holder to see it.

The following photo is a description of the numbering system for relays.

And yes you can jump the terminals to test it without damaging anything but all the safeguards will of course be removed.

Bill

Paul Dellas

Hi to all.....

Around september I post a problem with my 280 SEL not starting. Just got back into it. Have replaced the fuel pump and the new one is running fine. Have plenty of sparks at the plugs, have fuel pouring out of the fuel line at the rear of the fuel distributor when I crack it. Still cant get the engine to kick! What am I missing???? There is another fuel line on the side of the fuel distributor.... Is this a return line to the tank and should there be fuel circulating? I have poured some fuel down the air intake.... No kick. Do I need to bleed the fuel lines to the cylinders? Any help most appreciated.

Paul

WGB

Isn't there some form of cut off switch built into the back of the K-jet unit.

Bill

koan

The  line into the fuel distributor is the front most one, the other is the return, and yes, fuel does circulate.

Pressure in the tank will force fuel forward so remove the filler cap before investigating fuel supply.

If it doesn't fire with fuel poured in and you have spark, maybe the spark is not happening at the right time, either timing is off or the plug leads out of order.

No need to bleed injector lines.

koan
Boogity, Boogity, Boogity, Amen!

Paul Dellas

Hi again all......

Have to report I am a pretty happy camper, the motor is purring away nicely. Amazing what a new set of plugs and new fuel will do.

After replacing the siezed fuel pump, draining the fuel tank and replacing the plugs the beast fired up straight away. Have yet to take it on a run to blow the engine out. Apart from a slight exhaust leak from either the flange or manifold it runs very nicely.

Anyone had any experience with injector cleaner additives? Am thinking I might ad a bottle to clean the system out.

Paul

Phuketguy

Quote from: John Hubertz on 26 September 2008, 04:04 PM
mr ph, If used parts aren't an issue across your borders I'd be happy to post you anything you need from American junkyards - always wanted to make a friend in your part of the world.

Let me know if I can help and I'll try.

John, I'll take you up on your offer.  Actually, my son lives in Denver and will be coming to Thailand in about 3 weeks.  Do you think you could find one and work it out with him?  Let me know and we'll exchange PMs with details.  thanks very much.