News:

The ORG - No shonky business!

Main Menu

Starter Replacement Scope Creep: 6.9 Transmission service

Started by Mattr, 17 May 2020, 09:24 PM

rumb

Rotating the torque convertor with a screwdriver doesn't touch the TC. You use the teeth on the ring gear. The bell housing will not get dented as it is fairly easy to turn it when using screwdriver.
'68 250S
'77 6.9 Euro
'91 300SE,
'98 SL500
'14 CLS550,
'16 AMG GTS
'21 E450 Cabrio

ptashek

Yep, it's safe to do. If you're lucky, it's seconds. If not, maybe 2-3 minutes for a full turn with small, gentle nudges.
I've done it both on my W116 and W124, and apart from some minor marks on the converter housing, no further drama to report :)
1993 "Pearl Blue" W124 280TE
1988 "Arctic White" W124 200T
1979 "Icon Gold" W116 450SE

Mattr

Question: is the transmission filter the same between the M117 and the M100 automatic transmissions? RockAuto lists the Mann filter for a 6.9 as H1991KIT, and while Mann's website doesn't list making a filter for the 6.9, they DO list the H199/1KIT as the correct filter kit for the 4.5L v8. Can somebody tell me the right number? If not, I'll just order the Beck/Arnley.
1976 450SE 6.9 FrankenBenz (#2288?)
1977 450SEL 6.9 #2333

UTn_boy

-Yes, they're the same filter.  Use the filter kit Mercedes part number for reference.  109-270-02-98.  The MANN and other aftermarket numbers are not all that useful for the very reasons you're experiencing.  Also, the actual Mercedes filter kit is still available for not a lot of money....around $42 USD. 
1966 250se coupe`,black/dark green leather
1970 600 midnight blue/parchment leather
1971 300sel 6.3,papyrus white/dark red leather
1975 450se, pine green metallic/green leather
1973 300sel 4.5,silver blue metallic/blue leather
1979 450sel 516 red/bamboo

Mattr

Quote from: UTn_boy on 23 May 2020, 04:26 PM
-Yes, they're the same filter.  Use the filter kit Mercedes part number for reference.  109-270-02-98.  The MANN and other aftermarket numbers are not all that useful for the very reasons you're experiencing.  Also, the actual Mercedes filter kit is still available for not a lot of money....around $42 USD.
Good to know. I might order from the MBCC, then. I think Mann was selling it for $55. The few times I've talked to MBCC about part numbers, the cost vs. buying direct from the manu was big enough I just quit bothering with them. I understand they need to make money, but a 30+% markup on things they're just swapping boxes on was a bit much, for me.

While I'm asking questions, another one: My 450SE 6.9 has the auxiliary transmission cooler mounted, plumbed, but not belted. I suspect that has to do weird things to the transmission's functionality (since, in theory, the fluid could flow to the auxiliary cooler, but not get pumped back, which means it might slosh around in the pipes on either side of the pump?). I was contemplating adding a belt to it, and hooking up the aux cooler since it's plumbed, but maybe the better solution would be to simply remove it, and cap the lines? I don't live in an area that gets overly hot (maybe 10 days of 80-90F degree weather per year), so I don't think it's necessary.
1977 450SEL 6.9 #2333

daantjie

Matt I think you might be confusing the oil cooler on the side of the rad for the actual auxiliary trans cooling pump circuit?  The aux trans cooling pump still uses the cooler at the bottom of the rad, not the side.  It does have check valves in the pump to keep fluid cirulating properly, or to channel fluid if the AC belt breaks.  If you are yanking your trans pump I'll be interested in buying it off you,  if you are keeping it and hooking it up I can walk you through it, pretty easy but you must hook it up right otherwise you can cook your trans ::)
Daniel
1977 450 SEL 6.9 - Astralsilber

ptashek

Quote from: UTn_boy on 23 May 2020, 04:26 PM
Also, the actual Mercedes filter kit is still available for not a lot of money....around $42 USD.

It's just a re-packaged Mann.
1993 "Pearl Blue" W124 280TE
1988 "Arctic White" W124 200T
1979 "Icon Gold" W116 450SE

Mattr

Quote from: daantjie on 23 May 2020, 07:05 PM
Matt I think you might be confusing the oil cooler on the side of the rad for the actual auxiliary trans cooling pump circuit?  The aux trans cooling pump still uses the cooler at the bottom of the rad, not the side.  It does have check valves in the pump to keep fluid cirulating properly, or to channel fluid if the AC belt breaks.  If you are yanking your trans pump I'll be interested in buying it off you,  if you are keeping it and hooking it up I can walk you through it, pretty easy but you must hook it up right otherwise you can cook your trans ::)
In the front of the engine, at the very bottom is a small unit that has room for a belt, but isn't belted. It definitely has feed lines going from the transmission, has two going into the bottom of the radiator, and then back to the transmission. If I'm not feeling lazy tomorrow, I'll snap a picture and upload it, or stuff it on Instagram and link it, or whatever seems easiest.
1977 450SEL 6.9 #2333

daantjie

Yup that be the one, only fitted to US and Australia models, I guess ze Germans figured it gets a tad hot in the Outback and in Death Valley ;D

Here is a schematic that should demistify it somewhat ;)

Daniel

Mattr

Quote from: daantjie on 23 May 2020, 10:37 PM
Yup that be the one, only fitted to US and Australia models, I guess ze Germans figured it gets a tad hot in the Outback and in Death Valley ;D

Here is a schematic that should demistify it somewhat ;)
Thank you for that! Mine isn't belted, so it looks like the pump gets automatically bypassed. In that case, I'll just leave it be. Someday, when I get the time/energy to work on getting the AC running, I'll probably throw a belt on it so it can function as an idler for the compressor. Until then, I'll live with a car that cooks me.
1977 450SEL 6.9 #2333

daantjie

OK but you might want to check your setup at the bellhousing check valve.  It has a ball/check valve on the line that runs on the LHS (in driving direction) of the car.  If you hook the pump back up you must ensure thar the ball valve is present otherwise fluid will flow back into the trans and not follow the cooling route through the rad cooler.  You can PM me on this so we don't clog up the thread ;)
Daniel

Mattr

Quote from: daantjie on 24 May 2020, 06:09 PM
OK but you might want to check your setup at the bellhousing check valve.  It has a ball/check valve on the line that runs on the LHS (in driving direction) of the car.  If you hook the pump back up you must ensure thar the ball valve is present otherwise fluid will flow back into the trans and not follow the cooling route through the rad cooler.  You can PM me on this so we don't clog up the thread ;)
If I find the time to get to it, I'll do so. For now I want to get the car back to the point where it's running, so I can finally resume my investigation of the K-jet system, and try to figure out why my car doesn't want to hot start.
1977 450SEL 6.9 #2333