News:

Please add your location to your profile. It will help others to help you!

Main Menu

Started after 10 years of Sleep

Started by Wrighttbenz, 29 February 2016, 02:33 PM

Wrighttbenz

Well after a few weeks of cleaning out the fuel tank, replacing all the fuel hoses around the fuel pump assemble and a new fuel pump I was ready to giver this old girl a try. Again this car had been in storage for 20 years and not started in ten so who knows what may happen.
Well I am happy to say that the car does start sort of. She will not hold an idle yet, but the motor sounds good and it ran very smoothy for a few minutes. The car also always re-starts so another good sign.

Plans now are clean aux air valve and warm up regulator. Change the plugs and ignition parts are a must. Just wanted to see that I had something before I changed everything.

Any other suggestions are welcomed.

Is there a general way to clean up the fuel distributor? Still has the original cast iron unit.

daantjie

I wouldn't fiddle too much with the FD.  Just make sure all the screens at the connections  are clear of crud. Make sure you use good flare wrenches with counter hold. They tend to be on there like crazy :o
Daniel
1977 450 SEL 6.9 - Astralsilber

Wrighttbenz

Quote from: daantjie on 29 February 2016, 03:21 PM
I wouldn't fiddle too much with the FD.  Just make sure all the screens at the connections  are clear of crud. Make sure you use good flare wrenches with counter hold. They tend to be on there like crazy :o

I did pull the screen at the inlet of the FD and clean it before I stared the car. Hopefully the inside is in good shape. When I push on the air flow meter I can hear fuel moving through the injectors so it is working to some degree.

ptashek

A healthy dose of petrol injector cleaner, in the next tank or two, should take good care of the fuel distributor.
1993 "Pearl Blue" W124 280TE
1988 "Arctic White" W124 200T
1979 "Icon Gold" W116 450SE

daantjie

Good advice yes. I ran some "Kreen" through mine.
Daniel

Wrighttbenz

Quote from: daantjie on 29 February 2016, 04:28 PM
Good advice yes. I ran some "Kreen" through mine.

I think it may take more than that. I worked on her a bit last night and the car will only run for a second or so now. I pulled the plugs and one or two were wet with fuel and the others looked dry. I do not think I am getting flow through all of the injectors this could be several things I know. I am gong to pull all of the injectors and replace with new I will also pull the WUR and the AAV and clean them up.
At the same time I will have the hard lines off and I can use carb cleaner to soak the fuel distributor a bit. Hopefully these things will get her going.

daantjie

Good idea.  K Jet injectors are cheap-cheap :D
Daniel

Wrighttbenz

Quote from: daantjie on 01 March 2016, 03:45 PM
Good idea.  K Jet injectors are cheap-cheap :D

Yes less than $30 each for new injectors. New seals ad another few dollars.

Wrighttbenz

Fuel system is a bit of a mess on this old Benz.
I have pulled the injectors the WUR cold start injector assembly along with various other bits.
I am considering pulling the air meter and fuel distributor assembly as well. It seems unlikely that I will be able to get it going without sending this off to CiS for a rebuild.