News:

www.W116.org - All about the Car!

Main Menu

star adjusting bolt

Started by zeppelinboy, 13 September 2008, 06:50 PM

zeppelinboy

Does anybody have a part number for the star adjusting bolts used on the alternator and ps adjusting brackets?

I have just installed a new PS pump and the housing is thicker than the old one, so my old adjusting bolt is not long enough, so I need a new longer one. The local MB dealership has no idea what I am talking about.

Any ideas?

Thanks!

-Justin

WGB

Checked on my copy of the EPC yesterday and no mention i made of the mounting bolts as "Adjustment" bolts.

They are only listed as bolts.

Bill

TJ 450

I would assume that what you're referring to is the adjustment bolt with the toothed wheel/gear that meshes with the rack on the bracket for adjusting belt tension. Unfortunately, I don't know the part number of this.

Tim
1976 450SEL 6.9 1432
1969 300SEL 6.3 1394
2003 ML500

koan

The  complication will be that if you do find the correct part it's going to be too short, just like the existing one. You need to find one that matches your pump.

koan
Boogity, Boogity, Boogity, Amen!

WGB

Does your pump fit your mounting bracket?

On looking at the EPC not only are there two different pumps early and later, but the later pumps are divided into Vickers type and ZF.

I think the two classes also have different mounting bracketry.

I would think a trip to a wrecker with a selection of cars would be your best bet or else find a dealer who is prepared to get each bolt in and take it back if it doesn't fit.

Another option is to e-mail Tom Hanson at the Classic Centre, Irvine California - thomas.hanson@mbusa.com and give a description of what you want and the length of your present and required adjusters. He'll get back to you in a day and the price will be quite realistic.

Bill

pez

I've been thru this one before guys....I changed out my p/s pump earlier this summer and had the exact same issue. The bolt in question is made by Kamex and is known as a Kamex bolt. I contacted Kamex in the US and also headquarters in Germany - they have no stock of this bolt and would only  make more in a run of 10,000!!!  I also contacted my local MB dealer, who informed me that they only list 1 size, which happened to be the size I already had....and as you know, it needs to be about 5mm longer.  The best info I got has to do with the pump itself - my rebuilt unit came from a place in SLC, Utah [yours probably did too].  They say that pump might the correct unit, but the housing may not be made to exact MB specs - in other words, that little mounting tab is too thick.

You could also take it to a machine shop and have them make the tab 5mm thinner.....

I already had mine in the car when all this became apparent [I am sure you are in the same boat], so I just used a nut and bolt with lock washers, and used a long pry bar to get the correct tension on the belts, and all is well.

PS - be sure to change both your lines, too.

mabryt

Hiya Pez-

Quick question- how the heck do you REACH that bolt?  I need to tighten that belt and it looks like the only way to access where I think it must be is to jack the car up a few feet, no?

THANKS for any info-

MABRYT
1977 280SE - Silver Green

kenny

ebay US item 300113979365.  I have no idea of the part number, but maybe the seller of this one could put you on to the number

koan

What about getting a bolt of suitable length and then cutting, grinding and sawing the toothed piece off and getting someone to weld the toothed part to new bolt.

koan
Boogity, Boogity, Boogity, Amen!

Big_Richard

pez

One could certainly go the route of fashioning a new star bolt....cut a start, then weld it on. While not a metallurgist, I am sure there are some considerations about making the steel brittle due to the welding, but a quality machine shop should be able to do so.