News:

The Org - Serving W116 Enthusiasts since 2004!

Main Menu

Speaking of turn signals, one of my favorite things about a 116

Started by jjccp, 13 June 2006, 09:57 PM

jjccp

First of all, I'll admit that this is kind of "out there." If anyone wants to tell me I need to get a life or I have too much free time on my hands, I understand.

Did you ever notice the pattern that the front turn signals make on the pavement at night?

One evening a few years ago, I was driving with a lovely young lady in the passenger seat. I put on the right (passenger side) turn signal before a turn and she says "that's the most beautiful turn signal I've every seen." I had no clue what she was talking about. She told me to turn on the left turn signal and look at the ground. There it was! A very cool, golden pattern on the ground, blinking on and off. No I didn't get in a wreck. But I was surprised that I had never noticed it on my own before. For RHD people, reverse sides of course.

Ever since then, when I turn left at night, I wonder if the person that designed the lens for the blinker made that pattern on the pavement on purpose.

What do you think? Anyone else notice it before?

Ok, I'm going to beam back to Earth now. Thank you for your indulgence.

Jim
1977 280 SE
1978 San Juan 23
1979 6.9 #6846

chazchuzzlewitt

Did you marry the lovely young lady?- she sounded like a keeper...

s class

Speaking of whether a young lady is a keeper or not - In my younger days some ladies mistook my W116 for a W123 - and didn't get another date with me. 

Ryan

[color=blue]'76 6.9 Euro[/color], [color=red]'78 6.9 AMG[/color], '80 280SE, [color=brown]'74 350SE[/color], [color=black]'82 500SEL euro full hydro, '83 500SEL euro full hydro [/color], '81 500SL

jjccp

chazchuzzlewitt,

No I didn't marry her. I can't even remember her name, now that I try to think of it.

Life-long bachelor here, so far. The 116 has had quite a few lovely ladies in the passenger seat over the years.

Jim
1977 280 SE
1978 San Juan 23
1979 6.9 #6846

chazchuzzlewitt

nothing better than the view ahead of that star then the view to your side of a lovely young woman... :)

now if i could just swap my wife for that hot blonde at the office...

s class

That type of comment could get you in trouble - then you could risk loosing the 116.

[color=blue]'76 6.9 Euro[/color], [color=red]'78 6.9 AMG[/color], '80 280SE, [color=brown]'74 350SE[/color], [color=black]'82 500SEL euro full hydro, '83 500SEL euro full hydro [/color], '81 500SL

jjccp

Enough talk about chicks. I have about 5 of them after me right now. The Internet is a wonderful thing not only for old cars.

Can we stay on track people? This thread is about Turn Signal Patterns on the Pavement. Have you seen it?

Thank you for your cooperation,

Jim
1977 280 SE
1978 San Juan 23
1979 6.9 #6846

The Warden

I noticed it the first time I drove my 116 at night...I wouldn't call it "beautiful", but I like it. I think it helps improve the visibility of the signal...hopefully making it easier for the idiot in the lane next to me to see that I want to change lanes (so he can rush ahead of me so he doesn't have to be behind the "old slow smelly diesel" ::) ).

Anything that makes the car more visible (especially at night) is a good thing IMHO...

macatron

I haven't noticed it yet, either.  But, I DO love the 4 round headlights in the front and after I've washed my car, I'll pull it in the garage and close the door and turn on all the exterior lights.  It's calming.

Actually, I prefer the 4 headlight setup to the Euro lamps.  To me, it has more "classic" appeal.  The Euro lamps strike me as very modern and ahead of their time almost, which is fantastic, but not the look I'm after.

The Warden

Quote from: macatron on 16 June 2006, 01:13 PM
I haven't noticed it yet, either.  But, I DO love the 4 round headlights in the front and after I've washed my car, I'll pull it in the garage and close the door and turn on all the exterior lights.  It's calming.

Actually, I prefer the 4 headlight setup to the Euro lamps.  To me, it has more "classic" appeal.  The Euro lamps strike me as very modern and ahead of their time almost, which is fantastic, but not the look I'm after.

I tend to agree...besides, I like the 4-headlight setup because I think it puts out more light when the high-beams are on than a 2-bulb setup. Just, need to get Euro bulb replacements so the light pattern is better. ;)

jjccp

Quote from: macatron on 16 June 2006, 01:13 PM

Hey macatron,

That's a hoot. "Calming." I wonder how many people will read your post and think about going into the garage and just turning on the lights. The thought of all these Mercedes owners around the world grooving on the vibe from their car lights, cracks me up. I feel better now about bring up the turn signal thing. It's not just me.

But now when you go out there, turn on the turn signal too and get really crazy.

Owning a 116 must bring out the inner child in us or whatever new age term applies.

Jim

1977 280 SE
1978 San Juan 23
1979 6.9 #6846

Papalangi

I have to admit that I am amazed by the brightness and clarity of the dash at night but then that may be due to driving it from Dallas Texas to Seattle Washington with out dashlights.

As for replacement lamps for the 5.75 round lights, I'm saving my pennies for these,
http://dsl.torque.net/products/csr.html

Michael
'83 300SD, I'm back!  It's the son's new car (12/2020)
1976 450SEL, 116.033  Sold it to buy a '97 Crown Vic.  Made sense at the time.
1971 250C, 114.023
1976 280C
1970 250/8