News:

The ORG - No shonky business!

Main Menu

Some new toys...

Started by TJ 450, 31 August 2009, 11:38 AM

Big_Richard

if the head replacement has been done correctly, that air injection port shouldn't allow air to blow thru it - there are aluminum sealing plugs that are inserted into the air injection holes in the exhaust ports when  installing the universal last version heads onto a euro.

I'm sure you cant wait to pull that tensioner off and blow into that port with your mouth to tell... ::)

TJ 450

I though my insanity was confirmed a long time ago, when I started work on the 6.9. It just deteriorated from there. ;)

Of course, I could have put it in my bedroom, but that's full of interior parts. ;D

I don't think I'll pull the tensioner any time soon, as I'd like to organise the salvaged parts under the house... I'd also like to be able to use that bench for rebuilding the 380SE's transmission and whatnot, in the near future.

It will be a while before that M117 is put into use.

Tim
1976 450SEL 6.9 1432
1969 300SEL 6.3 1394
2003 ML500

Big_Richard

I look forward to test driving that 450 when the high compression, low milage engine is installed, it should just about be a bullet compared with the car powered with the current engine ;)

your "to do" list just exploded another several pages after aquiring those engines ;)

TJ 450

I think you're probably right there... it's a real dog compared to other 450s I've driven. The current engine is well down on power even compared to when I replaced the timing chain 20,000km ago. It was quite the rocket then.

I still think something's not quite right with the CIS, but regardless that engine is tired with all the blow by and oil consumption.

My "to do" list is never ending. The plus side of that is that I'll seldom be bored. ;)

Tim
1976 450SEL 6.9 1432
1969 300SEL 6.3 1394
2003 ML500

Big_Richard

you'll seldom ever have money with that to do list either ;)

TJ 450

Hahaha, now that is a fact. ;)

Tim
1976 450SEL 6.9 1432
1969 300SEL 6.3 1394
2003 ML500

oscar

Holy crap I can't get over the state of that cylinder.  I thought my spare engines would be safe just sitting in their wrecks but maybe I should crank them over and put some light oil thru the spark plug holes. 

Nathan, a w114 now.  You're unbelievable. 8)
1973 350SE, my first & fave

TJ 450

It's pretty bad isn't it. I still haven't been able to move that piston... I'll need to get a proper sledge onto it I think.

I don't think that it ended up like that just from sitting... there was a lot of water in the oil. Even the crankshaft is rusty and there was condensation between the bearing shells and the crankpins, so there was a definite headgasket problem before it was retired to sitting in a paddock. :(

Tim
1976 450SEL 6.9 1432
1969 300SEL 6.3 1394
2003 ML500

Big_Richard

Quote from: TJ 450 on 04 September 2009, 08:58 PM
It's pretty bad isn't it. I still haven't been able to move that piston... I'll need to get a proper sledge onto it I think.

I don't think that it ended up like that just from sitting... there was a lot of water in the oil. Even the crankshaft is rusty and there was condensation between the bearing shells and the crankpins, so there was a definite headgasket problem before it was retired to sitting in a paddock. :(

Tim

I bet i could get it out with my 10lb sledge and my map gas torch ;)