News:

The Org - Serving W116 Enthusiasts since 2004!

Main Menu

solex 4a1 EFI replacement> Powejection

Started by davidguarin, 05 September 2010, 03:03 PM

have any one use the EZ EFI ??

Carb Problem
3 (100%)
Fuel injection
0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 2

davidguarin

hi,
i ve a 280s 1973, it has the solex 4a1 wich have turn in to a nightmare, is really hard to make it work right.
i've found this product EZ EFI, wich replace the carb into a EFI system with very few modifications in the car. Keep the car in its original state have been my goal all the time, but dealing with this solex is driving me nuts.
Do you guys have any experience with this?
Any advice?

Davd Guarin
w116 280s 1973
Ford Focus zx3 ses 2006

DaVid Guarin
w116 280s 1973

davidguarin

i try the solex a4 rebuilt kit and it bacame worst, finding a replace solex A4 is also really hard.
now i'm decided, i bought The powerjection III to replace the solex with EFI also an MSD ignition system.
it should arrive next week so i'll be posting my advance with this project.

David Guarin
W116 280s 1973
DaVid Guarin
w116 280s 1973

Martin 280s

!Hola David!

El carburador Solex es difícil de ajustar, pero perserve es mejor utilizar el carburador original en lugar de una adaptación. Si usted necesita cualquier ayuda no dudes en enviarme un e-mail. Hay una tienda en Sao Paulo desmontando una W116 280s  y todavía tiene un Solex.

The Solex carburador is difficult to adjust but perserve it is better to use the original carburador rather than an adaptation. if you need any help do not hesistate to send me an e-mail. There is a shop in Sao Paulo breaking a W116 280s and he still has a Solex.

davidguarin

Hey martin,
thanks for your help, i'm gonna try the EFI system but i will try keep everything else as unchange as i can.
if this does not work as expected i can use your help.
today i get the new pieces and the new carb

I'm gonna start with the sparks and the MSD ignition, i have to empty the gas tank to remove it and wash it.
this is turning harder than i though but i have to keep on going

David
DaVid Guarin
w116 280s 1973

davidguarin

Spark replace,
Gap 0.8mm

Any idea about the best way to empty the gas tank?

Removal of the old Solex

MSD Ignition

Appreciate any comment

David
DaVid Guarin
w116 280s 1973

npk

How about the ECU to control the injection and ignition?

WGB

The electronic spark unit is going to get some heat from the exhaust in that position.

Bill

Kris P.

Very interesting project... What's the consumption of that EZ EFI?

davidguarin

The ECU unit is within the carb under the "Powerjection III". it is really easy to setup, just plug a couple of wires, i comes with the software and the usb cable and the most interesting is something they call "adaptive learning", is like a self tuning software that match the driving and external conditions like altitude and temp.
The EFI needs a feedback from the exhaust to match the air / fuel ratio. for this it comes with a wideband O2 sensor that nees to b directly placed in the exhaust manifold.

My actual milleage is 12 MPG (18.9 l x 100km) highway, please dont ask for the street milleage... my goal to get to 25mpg or as close as i can
And do not forget that the emissions will improve dramatically....hope to get an econo/ecofriendly w116

David

DaVid Guarin
w116 280s 1973

davidguarin

bill thanks for the point, i'm going to put an insulation shield to protect it.

David
DaVid Guarin
w116 280s 1973

Takernz

Interesting David! I have the car similar to yours, how much did you spend on the Powerjection III kit? On the website of FAST, the EZ-EFI complete kit (incl. fuel pump, filter, adapter plate and hoses for small block 350) cost about 1700 US dollars, did you make custom adapter plate to fit existing mounting holes of the SOLEX 4A1? I'm keeping close tabs on this thread. ;D

davidguarin

i bought it online in summit racing, the base kit was $1490USD, for the MSD 6a 6200 $120USD. The spread bore to square bore carb adapter in aluminium was 20 but it need some work to match exactly. i need to get some gaskets and do some work on the fuel lines.

Does someone know the actual rear torque?? i find that the m110 engine is 226 Nm at 4,000 rpm (08/72-12/75) and
223 Nm at 4,000 rpm (01/76-07/80) but,  Is this data  for the engine alone(fly wheel)??  
DaVid Guarin
w116 280s 1973

M110COUPE

Interesting swap, though i take it that system must have been designed for larger capacity v8's like small block 5.7l chevs?
do all butterflies open in unison or progressive?
These injection units are getting more advanced all the time, in terms of compactness & user friendlyness.
Ive looked at similiar types as in the same predicament of wanting to replace solex.
i was initially looking at a gm TBI  factory system to adapt as cheap.
Very interested to see your results, best of luck and thanks for  posting :)

13B

I suppose you could set the WOT stop to 1/2 that of a 5.7l V8 engine if the carb was too deep breathing for a 2.8l engine.

On the other hand venturi vacuum is not needed to draw fuel out of float bowls from this setup so the dreaded over-carburetted lean-out would not be an issue.

The unit looks perfect for use with a turbo or long duration camshaft...

I.
450SEL 6.9 #5440 = V MB 690 , 450SE # 43094 = 02010 H , 190E/turbo # 31548 = AOH 68K

davidguarin

hi,
the Inches vs metric sizes is driving me nuts, i had to change every single screw...
the project has become longer than i thought, yesterday i remove the gas tank,  it was pretty clean, but inside the car  was totally full of rust, that single thing take me the whole day.
my plan was to change the points and condenser but the distributor was a mess, i end cleaning, replacing ans greasing it, now it looks and works like new (sorry for the photos)

after>

the vacuum advance have two lines and the new carb have only one vacuum port.. does it need both lines to work?  should i connect both??

The new carb is now installed as the fuel system, i'm waiting for the new battery to test it and to bring you some news and photos

David
DaVid Guarin
w116 280s 1973